flashlight for housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gsafarek

New
Reaction score
I have Ikelite UW housing (for Canon 5dmarkII) and strobes, but I would like additional (preferably inexpensive) flashlight for spotting, mounted on the housing. Any recommendations?

Thanks

If I can manage to upload some photos, here's a very, very old strobe housing I made that had a place to stick a small flashlight. It uses a Tekna Micro Lite. Also included is my imitation GoPro mounted to a modern LED flashlight. The LED light is, of course, WAY more powerful and I had to make a diffuser for it. It was about $4 on eBay and uses 4XAA batteries. I have dove with it more than a dozen times to depths of 80-90 feet and it works fine.

WP_20160528_001.jpg WP_20160528_001.jpg WP_20160528_002.jpg WP_20160528_002.jpg WP_20160528_001.jpg WP_20160528_002.jpg WP_20160528_002.jpg WP_20160528_003.jpg

That was interesting. My view shows three of each photo plus two sets of doubles and a pair of fins. I hope you are just getting one of each.

In any case I use the flashlight to aim the strobe which is what I assume you wish to do. The little light is not very powerful but it did the trick. I also built a housing for a larger strobe which had the same arrangement and would also accommodate a larger flashlight (Mini C Lite) which I found very useful at the time. Personally I'd go with the cheap Chinese LED light.

BTW I do not seem to get backscatter with the flashlight and the video camera right next to each other. I should, but I don't.

Here is how I added lights to my housing. Those are HOG Morphs with video heads on loc line arms attached to my ultralight arms. They go into the handles on the tray. I disagree with using cheap lights. I can use these for spotting or video.
20160427_163405[1].jpg

I have a brand new ikelite gamma flashlight won in a photo contest. I already have to many lights. I would like $80usd. Ikelite makes a mount for the flashlight which is what i use for spotting. Here is the mount i use. Flex Mount For GammaProduct 1882

You've got the spot for a 1" ball mount on top of the housing, right? Or are you planning to mount them on the arms or by the strobes?

What is your budget and what is your typical subject like? Focus lights can range from $50 to $500, depending on how much you want to light up, how wide you want the light, if you want multiple brightnesses and red light as well, burn time desired, and whether you want removeable batteries or built in batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom