Flooded my D7000 yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear about your flooded D7000.

I have flooded two D7000!!!

Both times it was the uw-housing that was faulty. First time the uw-housing was brand new and the second time it was 1.5 years old. Both time the manufacturer fixed the housing (including giving an upgrade and service) for free and returned it within 2 days.
But most important, both times both the TTL electronics in the housing, the camera, lens and pictures survived. I actually did a second dive with the leaking housing!
Why? Well I have two leak insure sackets installed. No, I don't sell them (or get a comission, or even a discount, but I think I should ;-)), I just love them!
Leak Insure Sachets protect your underwater camera from minor leaks and condensation

Just be a little careful as they may break and you will end up with tiny crystals in your housing.

Let's get this straight-
You had a LEAK(as opposed to a FLOOD).
THEN you go dive again, knowing you have a leak in your housing????
$with a $1000+ camera.....................................AND YOU SAY TO ME- "Just be a little careful"

Now tell me....REALLY- do you break up those crystals and put them in the pipe?

Let's get this straight-
You had a LEAK(as opposed to a FLOOD).
THEN you go dive again, knowing you have a leak in your housing????
$with a $1000+ camera.....................................AND YOU SAY TO ME- "Just be a little careful"

Now tell me....REALLY- do you break up those crystals and put them in the pipe?

Hahaha!

So true, funny how it seems...

Yes, I had a leak. Water was coming into the housing at the end of the first dive.
I noticed that if I didn't touch a specific control, the leak was very little. If I touched (turned) it, the leak was bigger. So, on the second dive I did not touch that control so the leak very only very small.
Yes, camera and housing are expensive, but the oportunities I get to dive are rare. This was a good dive, in a good spot at a good season with a good budy. And the system was brand new. I really wanted to test it. I noticed that the leak insure sackets sucked up all the water very nicely so I took a chance.

Wanted to chime in on this thread, as I have a new appreciation for how quickly underwater photography equipment can become threatened. Essentially, I flooded my D7000 last week in Curacao, but managed to yank the housing out of the water in time to avoid serious damage. Seriously lucky after a seriously stupid move. Classic mistake of complacency, as it was the last dive of the week, and I've done hundreds of dives with a nikon/nauticam system without any problems. For those remotely interested, here's what happened and there may be a cautionary tale to be gleaned from my near miss.

First off, let me say that I'm normally fastidious with pre-dive preparation of my rig. I have a checklist, that by now I pretty much do in my head. Fresh battery, emptied memory card, cleaned O-rings, test shot fired check check check. I even bring a Petzl headlamp to provide a decent light source while I'm cleaning and preparing my camera. Anyway, I had changed to a wide angle lens and dome port in my room just before heading down for a shore dive. There were a number of small ants in the accommodation and the night before I had closed but hadn't locked the Nauticam housing to prevent intrusion of any unwanted guests. Normally, I will leave the housing open to dry any residual moisture, and then reassemble the next morning. However, that the next day, a last minute decision to shoot wide angle and I got distracted changing the lens and port from the front side of the NA system and I hadn't noticed that the housing was closed but not locked up tight.

So my buddy and I got busy getting ready to dive and then were interrupted for almost an hour visiting with a German couple at our dive resort. Finally as we prepared to dive, and without thinking anything was amiss, I put my housing in the camera rinse bin to test it and had just let go of the housing to let it settle on the bottom when the alarm started blasting. I jerked the housing from the water and tried to keep it upright as I struggled to undo the latches and get the water out. My dive buddy turned to see what was happening and said water was visible inside the dome port....at that point my heart sank. However, once I opened the housing and and the water rapidly drained out, I had a glimmer of hope as I couldn't detect any water above the camera tray and the camera itself appeared dry. First thing I did, after pulling the battery from the alarm system to stop the noise, was to open the battery compartment of the D7000. All dry, thank god. Then deciding to test my good fortune, I turn the camera on to see what would happen.....bless my soul, it hummed to life without a hitch. Fortunately, the resort had a compressed air blower and I was able to thoroughly dry the entire inside of the housing, reassemble and go diving.

Several salient points here. 1) complacency and its associated failure to detect a potential threat is probably the most common cause of damage to underwater photography gear. 2) an internal moisture is a critical element of underwater systems and undoubtedly saved my camera. No question about it. Without the immediate feedback from the alarm that the water level was present and rising in my housing, I would not have been able to rescue the camera. 3) Luck. Can't discount how damn lucky I was that it wasn't saltwater in the rinse bin, that I wasn't floating away from the dive boat with camera underwater etc etc when I discovered my mistake.

For my part, I will never submerse my rig in any liquid again without first checking to make sure that at least the latches and port lock are engaged, because its doubtful that Murphy will be looking the other direction next time.

Operator error comes in many forms....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Like $650! I can't see it is worth that kinda money- that's extortion FFS! and it creates another leak point!

Got the replacement camera today.......price $1088, lens nikkor 60mm micro f2.8d $403 total= $1491

So does the $650 for a Housing Sentry that would have prevented this situation look so bad now? It's not extortion, it's not insurance, it is a pre dive, during dive, post dive leak detection system.

I don't know what FFS stands for ????

As far as another leak point, on most housings we can use a existing open bulkhead and if there is any leak the Housing Sentry will detect it before the housing is exposed to water.

Wanted to chime in on this thread,
Thanks for sharing retondokid... I am a few days away from a liveaboard and a little reminder is a good thing!

Got the replacement camera today.......price $1088, lens nikkor 60mm micro f2.8d $403 total= $1491

So does the $650 for a Housing Sentry that would have prevented this situation look so bad now? It's not extortion, it's not insurance, it is a pre dive, during dive, post dive leak detection system.

I don't know what FFS stands for ????

As far as another leak point, on most housings we can use a existing open bulkhead and if there is any leak the Housing Sentry will detect it before the housing is exposed to water.

$650 big ones for a valve!!! and hand pump, like yeah rite, you want to much money for something basic it's like charging $50/kilo for apples!!!
Such simple a lill item.
Maybe you could sell some paranoia meds with it?
Or break up some crystal with Fota and stick them your valve.

---------- Post Merged at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Wanted to chime in on this thread, as I have a new appreciation for how quickly underwater photography equipment can become threatened. Essentially, I flooded my D7000 last week in Curacao, but managed to yank the housing out of the water in time to avoid serious damage. Seriously lucky after a seriously stupid move. Classic mistake of complacency, as it was the last dive of the week, and I've done hundreds of dives with a nikon/nauticam system without any problems. For those remotely interested, here's what happened and there may be a cautionary tale to be gleaned from my near miss.

First off, let me say that I'm normally fastidious with pre-dive preparation of my rig. I have a checklist, that by now I pretty much do in my head. Fresh battery, emptied memory card, cleaned O-rings, test shot fired check check check. I even bring a Petzl headlamp to provide a decent light source while I'm cleaning and preparing my camera. Anyway, I had changed to a wide angle lens and dome port in my room just before heading down for a shore dive. There were a number of small ants in the accommodation and the night before I had closed but hadn't locked the Nauticam housing to prevent intrusion of any unwanted guests. Normally, I will leave the housing open to dry any residual moisture, and then reassemble the next morning. However, that the next day, a last minute decision to shoot wide angle and I got distracted changing the lens and port from the front side of the NA system and I hadn't noticed that the housing was closed but not locked up tight.

So my buddy and I got busy getting ready to dive and then were interrupted for almost an hour visiting with a German couple at our dive resort. Finally as we prepared to dive, and without thinking anything was amiss, I put my housing in the camera rinse bin to test it and had just let go of the housing to let it settle on the bottom when the alarm started blasting. I jerked the housing from the water and tried to keep it upright as I struggled to undo the latches and get the water out. My dive buddy turned to see what was happening and said water was visible inside the dome port....at that point my heart sank. However, once I opened the housing and and the water rapidly drained out, I had a glimmer of hope as I couldn't detect any water above the camera tray and the camera itself appeared dry. First thing I did, after pulling the battery from the alarm system to stop the noise, was to open the battery compartment of the D7000. All dry, thank god. Then deciding to test my good fortune, I turn the camera on to see what would happen.....bless my soul, it hummed to life without a hitch. Fortunately, the resort had a compressed air blower and I was able to thoroughly dry the entire inside of the housing, reassemble and go diving.

Several salient points here. 1) complacency and its associated failure to detect a potential threat is probably the most common cause of damage to underwater photography gear. 2) an internal moisture is a critical element of underwater systems and undoubtedly saved my camera. No question about it. Without the immediate feedback from the alarm that the water level was present and rising in my housing, I would not have been able to rescue the camera. 3) Luck. Can't discount how damn lucky I was that it wasn't saltwater in the rinse bin, that I wasn't floating away from the dive boat with camera underwater etc etc when I discovered my mistake.

For my part, I will never submerse my rig in any liquid again without first checking to make sure that at least the latches and port lock are engaged, because its doubtful that Murphy will be looking the other direction next time.

Operator error comes in many forms....

You dudes don't understand what flood is!!!!
you keep confusing a flood with a leak, which is much slower- you had a leak, you checked it a tank pre-dive, if you had the same issue and stuck the thing in the wash tank your camera would be stuffed now ok! thats what you call flood!!!!
.......cliches help no one!

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.....

Ozzy,
Thanks for clarifying the differences between leaking and flooding...the rest of us dimwits were totally confused by the subtleties and distinctions of such a complex concept! So let me see if I'm following you-your camera FLOODED and was ruined and had to be replaced while mine just LEAKED and was saved. Have I got it?

DEAD7000 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
:(
Yesterday was a bad day for me!
It started out ordinary when I was approaching the site which is a conservation zone to see a pair of free divers spearfishing in the protection zone.
So I took some photo's of their vessel to report them to the marine park authorities, that's when I noticed the camera lens was in the manual focus setting so I hastily open her up and set it to A, and replugged in the hydrophone jack in my Aquatica housing (it's a fantastic housing, this was my fault!!!).
Well after anchoring and suiting up for the dive, I get my lady to pass my rig to me. I lower it into the water to see bubbles and then the alarm......HOLY FREEKIN SHEET!!!!!!
I quickly passed it back up to my girl, stripped my bp/w and tank, got into the boat pulled off the port to let it drain the camera housing while keep it port down.
I noticed that the mic jack flap was jabbed in between the housing shells, but not sticking right thru, only on the inside of the housing to the o-ring in the centre of the sealing surfaces.
So in my hasty inspection it appeared to be OK, it wasn't the case it flooded thru quickly.

The Flood that your original message described is like most floods. It's a leak that goes UN-noticed until a significant amount of water has entered the housing. Something that a simple quick dip in the rinse tank would have caught. Something that if you were not otherwise occupied you would have caught when you entered the water while you were still on the surface. As you stated the alarm was going off.

So the difference between a flood and a leak is ---- time. A catastrophic flood is where the dome port just falls off, now that is a flood.

A quick check in the rinse tank is worth .... a new camera, lens and housing service.

+1 Chuck good tips. I have been practicing and plan to test the housing first before rushing to get a camera in the water to avoid the dreaded flood.

The Flood that your original message described is like most floods. It's a leak that goes UN-noticed until a significant amount of water has entered the housing. Something that a simple quick dip in the rinse tank would have caught. Something that if you were not otherwise occupied you would have caught when you entered the water while you were still on the surface. As you stated the alarm was going off.

So the difference between a flood and a leak is ---- time. A catastrophic flood is where the dome port just falls off, now that is a flood.

A quick check in the rinse tank is worth .... a new camera, lens and housing service.

Its fast, not a leak, the seal isn't contacting are your trying to annoy me ??? you add nothing of any real value to this post....how far is Ohio from the ocean by the way?

---------- Post Merged at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:27 PM ----------

+1 Chuck good tips. I have been practicing and plan to test the housing first before rushing to get a camera in the water to avoid the dreaded flood.
At less then 50 dives you have me baffled as to why you carry a camera underwater!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom