Florida diver struck by boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
From Scuba diver hit: Fort Lauderdale police search for boater who struck scuba diver - OrlandoSentinel.com
Police are searching for a hit-and-run boater who struck a scuba diver Friday afternoon off Fort Lauderdale beach.

Emergency crews took Perry Anderson, 37, to Broward General Medical Center with injuries that are not life threatening, Fort Lauderdale police said.

Anderson and two other divers had kayaked out from the beach and attached a dive flag to the kayak. While diving, a single-engine boat hit Anderson and continued south without stopping, Fort Lauderdale Det. Travis Mandell said.

It happened at about 2:20 p.m. near the 3500 block of North Ocean Boulevard.

Anderson's companions helped him to shore and called for help.

Witnesses described the boat as about 20 to 23 feet long, with a blue and green stripe on a white hull. The boat's driver is between 40 and 50 years old and has long blond hair.

Authorities ask anyone with information about the incident to call the department's marine unit at 954-828-5440 or Broward County Crime Stoppers at 954-493-8477.

His injuries are non-life threatening, but he had a shattered pelvis, broken elbow and severed hand. Pretty serious stuff. His buddies had to paddle him an hour to shore with a make shift tourniquet.

This is a reminder that everyone should carry a VHF radio with them. While kayak one day, I bumped into a kayak diver who LOST his buddy! Lucky I had a radio on me and he used it to call the coast guard. His buddy later surfaced some 100 yards away without a dive flag. The coast guard arrived with a chopper and two jet skis about 5 minutes later. They weren't pleased.

Hope he feel better soon.

His hand has been re-attached, however he has a long road to recovery. The victim is a relative of someone that I know. The search for the culprit continues.

I'm SO tired of reading these stories.

When will people take driving a boat seriously? (I guess having to put down that beer and take a class is just too much to ask.)

Damn. Hate to hear this, but glad the diver survived. Hopefully the boater is brought to justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom