http://www.diveheart.org/

florida spiny lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbg40:
Coming from new england, I think Southern lobsters are rubbery, grainy tastless creatures. Ick.

Can not agree with this statement. I certainly LOVE the maine Lobsters that are the primary lobster that is sold in seafood markets, stores, and restraunts. However it've had Spiny Lobster just about every time I've been in Florida, and yum.

I have not met a lobster or crab that I have not liked to date :07:

Fishhunta,
If more commercial harvesters thought like you,they would not be depleting our
natural resources like they are doing. It's like they're living for Today and theirselves and the heck will everyone else. You seem very knowledgeable about the subject.

Htailwind:
Fishhunta,
If more commercial harvesters thought like you,they would not be depleting our
natural resources like they are doing. It's like they're living for Today and theirselves and the heck will everyone else. You seem very knowledgeable about the subject.

Why thank you............

fishhunta:
I guess I'll chime in......hesitantly...

I am a commercial lobster/ marine life diver. I don't live in the keys, and have never seen a "castilla". I work hard for my money, and collect fish/lobster in an ethical manner. I don't see a problem with that. There are 1.4 million trap tags out there, scattered all over the seagrasses and reefs, you tell me who's doing the damage.

As for treating our fisheries like the Bahamas, if that means locals do whatever they want, fish trapping still exists, permits for Korean fishing boats issued, and hardly enforcing the few laws they have........you gotta be crazy. The only reason they have alot of fish over there is that they have thousands of square miles of reef compared to our strip of reef from shore out a few miles here on the east coast.

Why are our lobster numbers dwindling......is it because commercial divers take 'em from structures....or because mini-season wipes them out.....or beacuse trappers don't have a limit???? No, It's because all of our lobster come from lavea in florida bay and similar sanctuaries, and those larvea came form feeder reefs throughout the gulf of mexico, central and south America, and all of the Carribean. Lobster spend the first year of life floating around in the currents. Our shortage of bugs is a direct result of the lack of protection in other countries....unfortunately, there is little we can do about it except watch the divers in Belize and Ecuador deplete their own, and our lobster stocks.

Hope my rant shed some light for some of you.

Well If you and the other Honest commercial harvesters would police yourselfs and your peers,(meaning the pirate outlaws that are out there for a quick buck. Like the Buffalo Hunters of the old west) all you would have to do is to report those of your peers that are selling more than what you know that can take legally in a days catch at the wholesale house, and report wholesale houses that you know are allowing this practice to continue. Like I stated in an earlier post there are not any commercial alligator or dear hunters in the state and there are also alot of fish species that are restricted to the recreational fishermen only. Why should the good honest hard working citizens of the Great State of FLorida Have to suffer loss of recreational activites that we love to line the pockets of Outlaw Money Hungry Commercial Divers and Crooked Wholesale Houses that are out for PROFIT AND PROFIT ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!! Mind YOU I am not saying that you are one of these outlaws But I am not at the wholesale house regularly and I do not rub elbows with them in my daily life and YOU HONEST HARD WORKING COMMERCIAL DIVERS are and YOU have done nothing to stop them from ruining your own livelyhood how can I expect you to look out for my recreation and traditions I would like to be able to hand down to my children and grandchildren. I know it is not just you but as a whole the commercial lobster Diving community could have done a better job of weeding out and eleminating the Outlaw among you to keep your honest good name Clean! I know If some group was giving me a bad Name or a black eye I would DAM sure DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT AND ON A WHOLE THE COMMERCIAL LOBSTER DIVERS HAVE NOT BUT HAVE LET THIS ILLEGAL PRACTICE CONTINUE. I am truely sorry if you and others like you are Collateral Damage in our attempt to keep our rights as Sportsmen in this state.

ONBOARD and PROUD TO BE

biscuit7:
100 bugs per person?? You must be crazy. I'm sure you've already done the math and it would take over 2 weeks to get that number of lobster at current limits. Can you even begin to imagine mini-season with a 100 per person season limit???

Take the 2 weeks, man. Lobstering is for fun is... well... fun. It's a way to look at the reef from a different perspective. You're on vacation, lighten up!

Rachel

We All know that Unless U drop in on a very rare and highly elusive GLORY HOLE that the average recreational diver may put six legal lobsters in his boat on a good day. And the average of the group of friends and Divers that I know that do make the annual treck to the keys for lobster season. Stay atleast the full week of the opening of the season. For all that Matters who is to say that the 100 tag had to be for the mini season. Leave it along and sell a mini season lobster stamp and a regular season 100 lobster tag. That way those that wanted to come to the Keys and get there Twelve Lobster (6/day) could still do that and those of Us that like to take home a few to enjoy and remember our great time in the Keys with can during the Regular Lobster season.

Hi thank a lot for the assitance I need it I won't have much time on the computer this next week I will be helping a friend rewire his boat this week. Appreceat you picking up the banner it appears you and I think alike. Thanks again for your support.

Thanks for the help it looks like you and diver d3 will be able to hold down the fort this week while I am helping a friend rewire his boat. Thanks again for your support.

Looks like we dive in the same area. Why don't you go over to florida sportsman conservation forum. I have some guys over there that think all the structures is just a few car hoods or old appilances. Maybe we need to take some pictures of the structures to post? I don't think that would be ilegal do you? Do you know, anybody out there with a good underwater camera? All I have is 110 the pictures are not great.
Thanks again for your support.

biscuit7:
100 bugs per person?? You must be crazy. I'm sure you've already done the math and it would take over 2 weeks to get that number of lobster at current limits. Can you even begin to imagine mini-season with a 100 per person season limit???

Take the 2 weeks, man. Lobstering is for fun is... well... fun. It's a way to look at the reef from a different perspective. You're on vacation, lighten up!

Rachel

I was not suggesting a change in mini-season. If you can't see that a season limit of 100lob per recreational lobster diver would be a more equitable allocation of a resource that belongs to all the people of all the people of Florida not just the commercial interest. Or how this would not be a way to conserve fuel, A conservation item we desperitally need. Then please go back and read the intire thread. especially replys 22 & 27 from the lone ranger whom it looks like is seeing the big picture, the reply from diver dw3 and my replay 33. About three days after the traps have been placed it becomes hard to even find a limit of 6lob per day under normal conditions, but the placement of the illegal structures has caused this to happen from the first day. As far as relaxing if i was lucky enough or good enough to find my seasonal limit in the first day or two. Then my spouse might beable to talk me into going to Key West so she could spend more money and my grandchildren might talk me into some snorkel trips and sightseeing. Thanks for your questions they help me to better explain my self.

This is a great reply! I couldn't have said it better. Your mini season stamp is a great idea I was trying to figure away to address the problem without doing away with mini season all together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom