Florida Springs - In February???? COLD???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This time of year, what you wear in the spring is not nearly so important as what you do once out of the water. Temperatures and conditions can be positively brutal if you aren't prepared for it. For example, Saturday morning it's likely going to be in the teens, windy and dry, with literally dangerous wind chill factors for anyone standing around in a wet wetsuit, no matter how thick it is.
I've also seen it get up into the 70's and sunny and still this time of year... but, best prepare for the worst. Bring big, bulky, heavy jackets. Get out of wetsuits, get dry and get warm between dives. As uncomfortable as getting into a cold wet wetsuit is, it's better than letting your core temp drop dangerously low in the misguided belief you'll be warmer staying in a wetsuit during your surface interval.
Vortex is more expensive than Morrison, but you get what you pay for... there's much more shelter at Vortex if you need to get out of the weather.
Have fun...
Rick

I've got a 6mm hood. I have yet to try it, but I know it will be sufficient. You can probably survive with a 3mm though. I never even used a hood before and I would only get cold if I was down for a long time.

The hood I bought was Body Glove. Look for one online. I'm sure you'll find it cheaper. It's a hood for God's sake. I'm sure you'll be fine if you don't "support your LDS on this one" :D

Your hood is normally the same size as your wetsuit. Just make sure it's not too small (may want to go to a dive shop and try one on first). If it's too small, it will cut off blood flow to your brain (not a good thing).

The springs will be nowhere near that cold. They maintain a constant year-round temperature around 71F I was there in late December. Air temp was very cold but water felt great! I wore a 5ml and my buddy a 3ml. I have yet to be cold in springs and could easily dive with less protection.

I agree with the rest of you... I'm planning a dive in blue springs and possibly blue grotto for this weekend... I've got a 3mm and was told that was plenty! If you look on their websites, you'll notice the water temperature is around 70-72 degrees. HAVE FUN!

Rcasey,

I have only dived Vortex, so I cannot comment on the other springs. Vortex remains a constant 68F year-round. For me, I dive a 3-2 with a lycra skin, 3mm beanie, 5mm boots and 5mm gloves.

The water is REALLY cold when it first enters your suit, but fine after that. I have been in with just the suit (no skin, gloves, or beanie) and I froze my :bonk: off. The head protection REALLY makes a difference!

Now, my wife wears a 5mm two piece with a skin, and the same gloves, boots, and beanie. She is toasty warm.

We did our check-out dives at Vortex in January, and the ambiant temperature was nice (mid 60's). Since then, we have been back and the temp was in the low 30's...HUGE DIFFERENCE! Once you get out of the water, I highly recommend you take advantage of their outdoor hot showers.

A lot of "regulars" at Vortex seem to dive dry, but the issued rentals for classes are the 5mm two pieces. Anything thicker than that in a wetsuit is too uncomfortable for me. I really think you would look out of place (overkill) there with a 7mm suit...but that's just my $.02. :wink:

So, if you are normally cold-natured, I would go with a 5mm two-peice. Otherwise, a 3mm with all the accessories I mentioned will be fine for a few days of two or three dives.

Good luck and have fun!

-=FizZ=-

I was at vortex jsut before New Years day. I rented a 6mm 2 piece suit there and wore a 0.5 mm suit underneath and would have been pretty comfortable has I actually been able to dive. Unfortunatley, my dive buddy fiance couldn't get a proper fit in the 6mm suit and we had to call the dive before we even got started. I think had we been able to keep the water from flowing through the her suit should would ahve been able to tolerate the cool water. Of course considering that the temps ni the quarries have a hard time getting near 70 except at the surface, the 68 degree water at Vortex was like heaven. I will be visiting Blue Grotto and Ginnie next month and will be taking my 0.5mm and a 7mm with me, and maybe a hooded vest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom