Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary May 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be cheaper to fly into Houston it is a major hub. A lot of one hop flights to there. I was figuring in driving myself

Would have to balance that against the cab fare, I suppose. Like planning a trip to Santa Barbara, California, the question came up wether to stop at LAX, or take an additional flight to Santa Barbara airport (which I chose).

Looking at the Fling's online calendar (which didn't work on Safari on my Mac, but did in Firefox), I get the subjective impression the boat tends to come back & go out pretty fast? Might make the '2 consecutive trips separated by 1 day' think not so feasible.

Richard.

I would guess that a cab from Hobby to the boat dock, 80 miles, would be on the order of $250 or so. If you could get one. You certainly wouldn't get one back.

Either way it is probably just cheaper to drive myself than fly 12Hour Drive is the normal for a road trip to the sea.

I thought they were going out of Galveston I was thinking about the $30 shuttle from Houston to Galveston.

I didnt see it was out of Freeport (I cant see an airport there either). How do people usually get to the Fling?

They drive. Freeport is not any semblance of a tourist town by any stretch of the imagination. It is a refinery and shrimping town, and half of the bananas and 90% of the windmills enter the United States there. Basing in Freeport instead of Galveston keeps the cost down and allows for plenty of parking and a safe port to dock in. The Fling did not sustain any damage when the strongest hurricane ever to make landfall (Ike, 2008) hit Galveston.

Looks like I am about three and a half hours or just a tad more from Freeport now. I might have to seriously consider giving the Gardens a try

It's an amazing dive trip. 7 dives in 27 hours, deepest we went was 95'. First dive of day you're allowed to go to MOD or 130', every other dive that day is 100' - we chose shallower to get in a little more bottom time. There is plenty to see without going for broke every dive. Long, relaxing surface intervals but it's a lot of diving in a short time period at moderate depths.

Back
Top Bottom