Flying Cayman Airways to Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
i am putting up this post to advise any future travelers between Grand Cayman and Cayman Brac. I believe that my comments will also serve those traveling to Little Cayman.

First off, today we had members of our group stranded on Cayman Brac on the 9 am flight 4004 for 9 hours and others on the 11:15 flight for seven hours. Cayman Airways eventually routed a 737 at 6 pm that was on Grand Cayman to Cayman Brac for all of the flights that were cancelled. Needless to say every single person on those two flights and more missed their flights and had to stay over night in Grand Cayman

While we understand that all airlines have problems occasionally, apparently this has been going on for some time now. One property owner stated that while this was bad, it was getting better. We cannot imagine how worse it could be. Another told us that it was just our turn to have problems. He told us that we should strongly consider travel insurance any time we travelled to Cayman Brac.

So what's the problem and what's the solution?

Apparently, Cayman Airways has designated a Saab airplane as one of the primary aircraft for this route. While on the island we told by some local that the plane has had a history of problems and Cayman Airways should have never acquired that plane. Apparently it was too much trouble to fly the otter back out in a timely manner. While we are happy to have arrived in Grand Cayman seven hours late, it had to have been economically ridiculous to send a 737 empty out to Cayman Brac And back with a very low load factor on the return 18 minute flight. There were only five people in the eighteen seats around us. The absurd thing about this is not only did Cayman Airways succeed is angering all of the passengers, but they also probably spent some money to do so. To their credit, they did buy us pizza after costing our group thousands of dollars in flight changes, hotel fees, and cab fare.

Unfortunately, Cayman Airways sees fit not to assume any responsibility for the mechanical problems of their plane nor their poor decisions unless you purchased your entire ticket regardless of where you originated from, from them even if they don't fly from there. Furthermore, they refused to inform us until six hours later that our flight was cancelled. Six hours after the scheduled departure time, the flight status page on their web site still said that the 11:15 am flight was on line. The manager promised but repeatedly failed to update the gate status board to reflect the cancelled flights. I myself had to announce to the other customers in the terminal that they had to return to ticketing to get a new boarding pass and change all of their luggage tags on their checked luggage. Since Cayman Airways seems to have a monopoly to Cayman Brac we feel lucky to even have left the island.

So what to do?

We would have been happy if Cayman airways paid for our change fees and hotel overnight. But obviously that did not happen. To mitigate their lack of responsibility, we suggest the following.

First off, book your tickets not through any carrier as you might not also be able to link the flight to Cayman Airways to the Brac. Instead use something like Expedia or travelocity or whatever. Second,always purchase the travel insurance. It's not a matter of if you are going to have a problem. It is when. This will cover any other flight problems that develop as a result of problems with Cayman Airways. Third make sure that the travel insurance that you buy covers not just weather or cancellations, but also problems related to delays. Fourth, naturally document and record any cancellation evens or delays. Cayman Airways refused to document their cancelled flights. I had to resort to a sympathetic gate agent holding up a hand written note that I wrote that the flight was cancelled. I hope he doesn't get into trouble for having done this as many other passengers with travel insurance asked to use our sign with the gate agent.

Lastly, I do not know the financial position of Cayman Airways, but I can say that a number of our divers will never patronize Cayman Airways again and therefore never come to Cayman Brac again. It would be a crying shame if the bad customer service of Cayman Airways adversely affected the fledgling economy of Cayman Brac.

We saw many, many properties for sale on Cayman Brac for sale. You could not drive down the road a block without seeing for sale signs. We would think twice ourselves about buying property solely on the basis of the difficulty of the transportation issue and could see how difficult it might be to get repeat rental customers down there after they have experienced travel problems.

We really enjoyed Cayman Brac, but Cayman Airways' bad customer service and lack of financial responsibility for their poor maintenance and logistics has certainly been dampener. Next time we will plan accordingly. Hopefully anyone reading this will benefit from our experience and suggestions.

Last edited:
I understand that you are frustrated. I am sorry you were inconvenienced. That is truly a pain.

There has to be more to this story as you did not mention any service by the Twin Otters. There are at least four regularly scheduled Twin Otter flights from the Brac to Grand each day. You make no mention of those flights. Why?

Slamming Cayman Airways may be premature if there is more to the story. Why weren't the two Twin Otters flying?

I assume this happened Friday August 12, and not the prior week when Earl passed by and planes were grounded due to weather. There were delays, longer delays when that occurred.

I have seen this problem occur in several places in the Caribbean, including Grand Cayman which involved an American airline. More on this later.

There have been some unexpected issues with the Saab 340, it got hit by another plane, it was hit by debris from another plane, etc.But to say it was a mistake to buy the Saab, is an overstatement I think. This has not been going on for some time. I make this trip at least every other month and have never experienced what you did.I would suggest that it has been months since this issue last occurred. Most of the outages experienced by the Saab have been from outside events, not lack of reliability of the aircraft.

I certainly can't defend the behavior of the gate agent in not informing you of what to expect. I would not be surprised that the gate agent did not get updated on the status and I would not be surprised that the gate agent did not call to ask for updated information. My expectation of what the gate agent did was wait for someone to call them and tell them a plane is on the way, or wait until they see a plane out the window on the tarmac.

As far as for sale signs, I don't think you should place any importance, one way or another, on for sale signs. There are loads of for sale signs on Little Cayman too. The economy on the Brac is not good and has not been for some time. Just not much industry of any type on the Brac. That is not the case on Little Cayman.

Cayman Airways operates four older 737-300 airplanes. Cayman Airways Express operates two Twin Otters and a Saab 340. You never know what happens on a given day to move around the flight schedules when operating that few airplanes. Anything that causes any plane to be out of service sends troubles through the remainder of the schedule. Cayman Airways tends to assemble passengers on the Brac when there are issues with the smaller planes, so what they did that day is not unusual. They send a jet to pick them all up at one time. With that equipment makeup, you have to expect problems, delays and inconveniences.

What does not make sense to me is that you don't mention any Twin Otter flights from the Brac to Grand while you were waiting. There are at least four regularly scheduled Twin Otter flights from the Brac to Grand on a Friday in addition to the Saab flights. You make no mention of those flights.

I can only assume that the Twin Otters were not running either. So that means that all three of the Cayman Airways Express planes were not operating yesterday. That set of circumstances has never happened to the best of my knowledge except when the planes were grounded like with Earl due to weather. Both of the Twin Otters have been down before, but they used a helicopter to get folks to Little.

That event would be truly remarkable. Almost unheard of.

Your suggestions/solutions are good ones.

I am absolutely amazed at people that book trips from the states to Cayman Brac. Their sole goal is to book the cheapest flight to get them there at their convenient time. The person booking their own flight is uneducated of the rules of the airlines and all they want is the cheapest flight.

So what do they do? They look on Expedia or similar from Charlotte, NC for example, to Cayman Brac and see a total fare of $900. Next, they look at US Airways or Delta from Charlotte to Grand and then on Cayman Airways for Grand to the Brac. The combined fare for that option is $850, so they book it, all to save $50. Horrible mistake.

What they don't understand is that each airline is responsible to get them to their destination within certain time frames. So say Delta is required to get them from Charlotte to Grand within eight hours of their scheduled arrival. Delta owes you nothing if you don't make your connection to the Brac. And so on for each separate ticket.

And when Delta does not get them to Grand on time to make their flight to the Brac, they have to overnight on Grand and struggle through re-booking their flights and paying fees, etc. Worst of all, they are mad at Delta.

It is their own fault for not understanding the rules, all in search of the cheapest flight. It is their own fault, nothing more, their own fault.

Yes, you were inconvenienced. Yes, Cayman Airways Express did not communicate well. Yes, that is a royal pain.

In the end, this is an educational experience. I am sorry you had to go through that education.

Never book more than one ticket on a trip. NEVER!!

I still don't get the part why the Twin Otters were not running their regular schedule. Something else had to be going on. Just because the Saab was not running should not affect the Twin Otters. There has to be more to this story.

I should add that the 6:00 PM Friday night 737 flight from Grand to the Brac is a regularly scheduled flight. The flight back to Grand does not usually fly back until early Saturday morning.

It would not surprise me if they called the scheduled passengers for Saturday morning and told them the flight had been moved up to Friday evening. I have seen that happen.

Still would not have been a full flight.

Nothing ruins a trip as much as bad travel problems on the way home and it sounds like you had a truly awful trip home, my sympathies. In recent months there have been news articles about Cayman Air's expansion program. They've bought new equipment and are expanding their schedule. I wonder if this dreadful incident was part of their "growing pains" and they've stretched themselves too thin? We are going to Brac in the fall and I hope that they get things together by then.

They used to rent a Brazilian turboprop plane and the Saab is a recent acquisition, but it took them a long time to put it into service.

I've learned the hard way to travel on one ticket all the way from home to my final destination and back, so if there is a problem with one leg of the trip the airlines will recognize that it is part of the whole and not just dismiss it as "the other guys problem". But I don't always have access to book all the way on one ticket for international travel (or I haven't figured out how to do it.) Especially since we often split our travel into a 2-week, 2-island trip. In the fall we will spend a week on Grand Cayman and a week on Brac.

When we travel internationally we always have a travel agent or booking agent make the air reservations on a single ticket. For our upcoming trip to GC and CB we had the flights booked by Reef Fantaseas, the booking agent for the Cayman Brac Reef Resort. They charged me a booking fee ($20 per ticket) but so be it. They know the best flights and options and have contacts with the airlines, especially CA, and I would rather pay $20 extra than deal with the misery of a multi-ticket trip that falls apart because of problems with one leg of the trip.

We also always buy travel insurance that includes delays, and not just weather-related delays. The annoying thing about insurance is that you resent having to buy it and hope that you won't have to use it, but you are glad that you have it when you do need it. When we were younger we never bought travel insurance and we absorbed some losses but figured it was a wash. In more recent years we have revised that opinion and now we take the insurance. If you take multiple trips in a year I understand that you can get annual travel insurance coverage, but we have not tried that.

It was very smart of you to remember to document the delays and to come up with an innovative way to do that. It may not be something that you think about during the delays but documentation helps a lot with the insurance claims.

We have taken several trips to Cayman Brac and Little Cayman and we have never had problems with Cayman Airways (knock on wood!) but a couple of years ago we had a seven-hour delay due to mechanical problems with a Delta plane on our way home from Brac and we sat around in the GC airport and missed our connections. I am "an equal-opportunity airline hater" and Delta did a really bad job with that incident. The lack of communication was terrible and nobody bought us pizza!

I also travel for work and there have been times when I feel that I truly despise an airline and swear that "I will never fly with them again and that I would rather fly with Klingons!" but then I get delayed by another carrier, and of course no sympathy, recourse, or communication, and what can you do about it? You're stuck and it stinks!

Unfortunately these bad things happen with every airline. I am not trying to make excuses for CA or minimize your awful experience, and I hope that you will be able to recoup much of the expense due to the delays; but I do hope that you are soon able to remember this trip fondly despite the problems. Thank you for sharing the incident and your advice.

I also hope that you will post a trip report about Brac because we will be heading there in a couple of months - without delays I hope!

Last edited:
Reef Fantaseas charges $20 per ticket.

I understand that the delay in getting the Saab online was in order to train the pilots, not mechanical issues fortunately.

Last edited:
Here's more to the story.

On Saturday 13 August 2016, the 6 am or so flight made it out. The 9 and 11 flights never left, but we're not cancelled. Between 10 when I arrived and 6 when I left on the unscheduled 737 flight, only one flight, an otter flew all out all day. This flight left Brac for Little and then on to Grand, it took out two passengers with the remaining passenger to Grand Cayman presumedly loading on at Little. If the was any extra space it was wasted. If there were any other regularly scheduled flights with the otters or Saab that day, they didn't arrive or leave either. That was it, trey remarkable or not.

Another 737 did land, but that was destined to fly to Cuba.

On arrival another passenger informed me that from his vantage point,he saw three small planes CA sitting on the runway chocked, these must have been the two otters and the Saab. I only saw the saab which was also chocked. No maintenance was being performed.

The story continues today.

When we got to the airport, one couple whose connecting flight to Houston at 12 on Sunday was booked by the CA gate agent was still there at 1 pm when I arrived. They found out that the CA gate agent on Brac didn't actually schedule their 12 flight as they had thought. When they showed up at the airport the 12 flight was booked. They were then booked on the 450 flight. They are going to have words with CA on Monday.

CA's Summer Schedule ended on August 12 so I imagine that there would be some changes in flights with the start of the new schedule, but I don't know why they would leave passengers stranded on Brac for hours when they had planes parked on the tarmac. I just tried to check their website and found that it has been overloaded and is not available, see below. I wonder what is going on with Cayman Airways?! It may be that a lot of people are "going to have words with CA on Monday"!

Resource Limit Is Reached
The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.

Last edited:
CA's website is back up and there are no notices or apologies about recent delays. What was the weather like on Saturday while you were waiting in Brac airport? I have read that bad weather caused extensive delays in the southern US and other parts of the world on Saturday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom