Food Favorites - Diving and Dive Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkaelin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Probably not the best place to start this thread but I will give it a try as most of my dive travel is in this general area. A part of our great dive travel memories center around food and great food memories and experience. Yes, being underwater and the experiences there are primary and resorts and accommodations are important as well but for us we also look forward to different foods, especially fresh delicious seafood and local specialties. Anyone feel the same way? So to start, I'll share some our favorites in no particular order.
- Lion fish tacos at Eagle Rays at Oceanfrontiers East End Grand Cayman. Fresh, made to order and a bargain at 2 for $10 with a generous order of fries.
- Fresh fish plate of the day and an appy of conch fritters at Macabuca at Turtle Reef Grand Cayman. Especially when we go directly from the airport after arrival, gear up, do our first dive and accompanied by a cold beer afterwards
- Anything at Over the Edge GCM East End after a morning of diving. Grilled Lobster tails, rice and peas, fried plantains form under $30 was a bargain.
- Bobbi jans on Bon after a day of diving or as the first meal on arrival day. The special with ribs, satay and grilled chicken, a meal and then some.
- Any meal/food at the Beach Hut at Lac Bay Bon with a cold polarita
- Any fresh fish dish at Jimmy's Dive Bar Provo. We had two amazing meals. One Creole Grouper and the other Picatta mahi mahi, both served with fresh veggies and fresh homemade mash potatoes.
- Fresh smoked fish dip and fresh conch cerviche at a restaurant just south of the Bahia Mar in Ft. Lauderdale near the fire house.
- An incredible bakery in Key West, that we went to every morning to pick up breakfast baked goods but can't find the name of the bakery.
- Bermuda Fish chowder/stew or fresh fish of the day at the Swizzle Inn Bermuda. Oh and Dark and Stormies
- Rock fish dinner at the Reefs in Bermuda. Expensive but wow.
The list goes on. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy but something that you get excited about for a future trip or fondly remember from a past one.

What are some of your favorites?

Used to look forward to a Lions Den burger and fries first night at Buddy Dive. Now Kirk and Lions Den are gone :(. Love Over the Water in GC, watching the tarpon under the lights. The Lolo's of Gran Case, St. Marteen - local grill, plantains, beer and homemade coconut ice cream. When I worked on St. Thomas my routine was coffee and English muffin (butter and jelly) at Lattes in Paradise on the way to the boat and a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich at Melt (Red Hook) post dive. Food and diving are a natural fit.

I ate delicious curries for breakfast every morning in Thailand before diving! Yummy.

GJS

Used to look forward to a Lions Den burger and fries first night at Buddy Dive. Now Kirk and Lions Den are gone :(. Love Over the Water in GC, watching the tarpon under the lights. The Lolo's of Gran Case, St. Marteen - local grill, plantains, beer and homemade coconut ice cream. When I worked on St. Thomas my routine was coffee and English muffin (butter and jelly) at Lattes in Paradise on the way to the boat and a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich at Melt (Red Hook) post dive. Food and diving are a natural fit.

I always liked Kirk. Thought he was a genuine good guy. But then again I only knew him through tourist eyes.

If there is smoked marlin anything at Wils Tropical Grill on Bonaire, get it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom