For all you shark and wreck divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

urbaneve71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This came across my email and I thought I would pass it along to all of you.

3rd Annual
North Carolina
Wreck*Shark Shootout
Thursday, June 2 thru Sunday, June 5, 2016

89d1ce94-6395-4a2e-9897-65db484a963f.jpg

Mike Gerken is a professional underwater photographer, documentary film maker, fine art print maker, writer, publisher and boat captain.
The Shootout
For two years running, the North Carolina Wreck*Shark Shootout with Olympus Dive Center been a hit. Many of the attendees this year were at last year's event and indicated unequivocally that they would be back yet again in 2016. This says a lot about the good times and great friends that were made.

The Date
June 2 thru June 5, 2016

. (This is the long weekend after Memorial Day.) Join professional photographer, Mike Gerken for 4 days of wreck diving with sharks; the star attraction being the sand tiger shark, Wreck Denizen of North Carolina. There will be a few changes from last year's event in regards to the rules and accommodation, so please continue to read carefully for more information.

The Objective

For those who are new to this event, The NC Wreck*Shark Shootout is a photo video contest where the objective is to dive on the best wrecks with the most sharks and submit photos and videos for an opportunity to win some amazing prizes (see below). I have been diving the wrecks of North Carolina for nearly ten years and am considered by many to be very knowledgeable of the wreck diving and sharks in the area. I will use all of my expertise to put divers where I think they can land great images and videos.

Event Charity

One noteworthy change in 2016 will be that I will be donating a portion of the proceeds to
The Shark Research Institute.
SRI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to conduct and sponsor research on sharks and promote their conservation. When you sign up for the event, you will be making a difference in helping educate the public about shark conservation and their marine habitat. You can make a difference.

New Event Hotel
In 2016, the event hotel will be the conveniently located at the Bask Hotel right on the Morehead waterfront just one bock away from the OlympusDiveCenter facility. I have already inspected the Bask and come to find that it is a fine establishment and brand new one at that. The pricing is compatible with other hotels in Morehead City, and efficiency suites with full kitchen are available.

The Weather
If you are going to attend the event, bring a positive attitude and understand that the diving is at the mercy of Mother Nature. I cannot control the conditions or guarantee shark sightings. (However, it is a rare event when we cannot find any sharks at all.) Also, keep in mind that there is always the chance that we will have to dive the inshore wrecks rather than the more desirable offshore wrecks if the weather mandates it. Olympus Dive Center is a very reputable operation that has been in business for more than 25 years and places safety as their number one concern.

U-352 Dive
Due to popular consent, I will be scheduling one dive at an optimal time during the event on the German U-Boat, the U-352 (weather permitting). This will be a great opportunity to photograph an iconic wreck site and submit entries for the Best Wreck category. Who knows, there may be some sharks milling about the conning tower posing for the winning photo.

Contact

mike@evolutionunderwater.com

to ask questions and reserve your space.

24680aaa-8f84-46ad-be6c-02fd6cd2d117.jpg

S.gif

S.gif

S.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom