? for Venture wing users (did the search)

Discussion in 'Buoyancy Compensators (BC's) and Weight Systems' started by evad, Oct 12, 2004.

1. evad

evad Orca

I've been using a Zeagle Scout bungeed-gusset wing with a SS BP which is trapping a little air. I think its actually trapping exhaled air externally in what is effecively a cowl formed by the bungeed gusset. Without the bungee it almost surrounds the tank. In any case, I'm tired of contorting myself and am looking at singles wings. At first, the square Venture wing intuitively looked "wrong'" but I'm starting to see some logic to its method; that it appears to be much narrower on the sides than the "other" brands. I can also get it for about $200.00 less than the other shell/bladder ones. So my question was/is, for people who have owned one for a while, what do you think of them now? Thanks,
    Dave

2. The Kraken

The Kraken He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR) ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Is there a question here????

I assume you're asking for experiences with the Dive-Rite "Venture" wing.

I love mine !! When I started off with the back plate/wing, I used the wing from my Zeagle "Tech". Needless to say, 65# was waaaay too much lift and material for a single.

Even with the weight required to get down with my 6.5 farmer john/jacket, the Venture wing provides ample buoyancy and is very streamlined.

If you purchase one from Dive-Rite Express, you can get a shorter inflation hoses installed for no additional charge. You can also opt to have the 90 degree dump valve replaced with a solid 90 degree elbow for about $8.00.

Leisure-Pro has a great buy on them right now. About $180 if I remember correctly.

Buy one, you'll like it.

3. NWGratefulDiver

NWGratefulDiver Mental toss flycoon ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives:
    IMO - one of the nicer singles wings on the market ... I wish they made one in a 40-lb version.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

4. evad

evad Orca

Thanks. I hadn't finished the ? before I hit some mystery-post-now-button. That's the answer I was looking for anyway. Let's see, three days not-in-bar..... that should cover it. I'm about to go get one now. Any cons?

5. The Kraken

None that I've experienced. I've about 40 dives on it now.

6. evad

evad Orca

That's it, ****work, I'm going over there now. Thanks Bob, I'm grateful.
    Dave

7. The Kraken

I did too, until I lost 10 pounds.

8. evad

evad Orca

I don't have any buoyancy issues. Doesn't anyone not-like the venture? For ANY
    reason?

9. ChickenBone

ChickenBone Angel Fish

add another satisfied Venture owner to the list - I'm very happy with mine.

i

10. scubadobadoo

scubadobadoo Humbolt Squid

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I like it too. About 20 dives on it from NY (dry suit and 18 #'s plus the ss plate) to key largo (2 mil and 2 pounds) and I love it. I was in 6+ ft. seas this past weekend and the wing floated me nicely in the water as I waited for the boat to get me. Underwater it is also very stable. Have fun!

11. OneBrightGator

OneBrightGator Scuba Instructor

# of Dives:
    The only downside I've found is water can get trapped between the inner and outer bladder, but that's solved by inflating it all the way before you get out of the water.

I used mine at work all summer, logged over 100 saltwater dives on it and probably 500 hours in the sun on the boat, still looks brand new, works like it too.

Ben

12. scubadobadoo

scubadobadoo Humbolt Squid

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Onebrightgator is right about the water. Very minor problem.

13. steve2281

steve2281 Barracuda

What length corrugated hose do you use on your Venture wing?? 12"????

14. The Kraken

Yeah, I use the 12".

I'm 5'8" / 160# and it hits my left shoulder strap right at the D-ring.
    It's much easier than dumping the standard length deflator and it doesn't flop around all over the place when I'm diving. Needless to say, I have a piece of bungie cord that secures it in place when not in use.

15. evad

evad Orca

Thanks for all the advice (and telling me what I wanted to here). I went through four of them before I finally bought the best-finished outer shell with a small puncture in the bladder for $150.00/no tax. The finish of the other three was such that I asked the guy if they were seconds. The ones I didn't buy were "crimped" by the outer shell in the upper right hand (no dump) corner. When I felt the bladder, I noticed that it was crimped or bunched up on its own but I figured I was just being a scared little girl (no offense to scared little girls) and bought it on reccomendations and reputation. Now, what is the optimal way to repair a small puncture in the (urethane?) bladder? Thanks. Oh yeah, re advice about non-drainage;
    is there any reason not to put in a drain in the form of a small grommet?

16. The Kraken

There are 2 drain grommets in the ventue wing, one on each side.

17. evad

evad Orca

Mine has no grommets. Where are yours?

18. The Kraken

Bottom corners on the inside (the side to the back plate).

19. evad

evad Orca

Nope. No grommets. Any suggestions on best way to patch small puncture. (I know,
    take it back).

20. The Kraken

You got a Dive-Rite "Venture" wing, right?
    On the very bottom of the nylon shell there should be 2 stainless steel grommets inserted into the cover for water drainage.
    If they are not there, take it back.