Four dead in Italian cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They didn't all have lights:shocking: insanity on top of insanity! I can understand to some degree the new divers may not have the training to understand what they were getting into and therefor blindly trusted the "Dive Professionals". Going into a dark place without a light and backup light:shakehead:

It is insane, but even with no light, and a guideline in place, they could have followed the guideline to the the exit.

The whole dive is insane - 9 divers in a cave with no training, no guideline, no redundancy.

It is insane, but even with no light, and a guideline in place, they could have followed the guideline to the the exit.

The whole dive is insane - 9 divers in a cave with no training, no guideline, no redundancy.

If you're not a trained cave diver, you don't realize the significance of maintaining contact with the guideline. Another case of you don't know what you don't know.

If you're not a trained cave diver, you don't realize the significance of maintaining contact with the guideline. Another case of you don't know what you don't know.

If you're not a trained cave diver, you should still understand the significance of penetrating a cave. Are divers now trained to follow figures of authority instead of using their own common sense? You don't know what your instructor dosen't teach you, you don't know what you don't take the time to know, and so on.

As for the knuckleheads that came up with this great plan, the ones at the top should spend some quality time in the greybar hotel to think about it, and the dive "proffessionals" that went along with it should have all their certifications revoked. Of course, as soon as this blows over, may have already, the next tour will start so be sure to get a reservation before they sell out.

Bob
--------------------------------------------------------
A man's got to know his limitations.
Harry Callahan

I think common sense should prevail even without training.

As for the knuckleheads that came up with this great plan, the ones at the top should spend some quality time in the greybar hotel to think about it, and the dive "proffessionals" that went along with it should have all their certifications revoked. Of course, as soon as this blows over, may have already, the next tour will start so be sure to get a reservation before they sell out.

The authorities only closed the cave where the accident happened (la "Grotta degli Occhi"), but they are allowing the same Dive Centers to sell the same dive packages and dive the caves this same way (as we see on youtube and the Italian TV program "Chi l'ha Visto").

The Dive Centers operating in this manner are affiliated with Certification Agencies and sell courses including Cave Courses from these agencies (some U.S. based).

The blind leading the blind in every respect!

This is a video of Italian divers going into the Cave of Blood:

more cave diving Italian style:

This is a video of Italian divers going into the Cave of Blood:

more cave diving Italian style:

I watched the first video: a lot of hand "restlessness" and the kicking was not super terrible; anyway they were not exactly like "Navy Seals". At least it seems that they went down and surfaced together. While during another dive in another location a girl, whom I met personally, submerged when the rest of the group was already down, apparently had some problems with her gear and drowned.

I tried to watch the RAI3 show but after a while I couldn't handle it any longer. It is the typical Italian gibberish that glosses over the real issues.

Few people here have mentioned “common sense" but humans can be very "funny" animals and forget all about "common sense" especially Italian ones. Unfortunately this lack of "common sense" goes deeper affecting a lot of folks who own scuba diving operations etc not just scuba divers. If the Italian scuba agencies are as corrupted as the government then nothing will ever change in that darn country. Another thing that does not help much is the fact that a lot of Italians have the tendency of skipping rules to suit their own goals selfishly. This modus operandi is so rooted in the Italian culture and widespread among people from all walks of life that eradicating it may be impossible. Despite my gloomy overview about Italian scuba diving industry etc., I think that there are still good Italian instructors and scuba diving operations out there; it is just the matter of finding them.

---------- Post added January 24th, 2014 at 12:18 PM ----------

The authorities only closed the cave where the accident happened (la "Grotta degli Occhi"), but they are allowing the same Dive Centers to sell the same dive packages and dive the caves this same way (as we see on youtube and the Italian TV program "Chi l'ha Visto").

The Dive Centers operating in this manner are affiliated with Certification Agencies and sell courses including Cave Courses from these agencies (some U.S. based).

The blind leading the blind in every respect!

Uuhhmmm, a local diver has just told me that the cave is closed to divers...:confused:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom