Four dead in Italian cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cringed when I watched those videos! Scary stuff especially the second one. No redundant equipment, crappy lights, and no guideline and obviously no training. People like that are why caves get closed.

I cringed when I watched those videos! Scary stuff especially the second one. No redundant equipment, crappy lights, and no guideline and obviously no training. People like that are why caves get closed.

Those type of diving is promoted by instructors and dive centers for money.

The SCUBA industry particularly in Palinuro is actively promoting such behaviour and activities and the training agencies of all these instructors and Dive Centers unless they are deaf and blind ought to know about this sub-set of the SCUBA business.

So, it is not the end-user fault. The end-user are sold dives and kits and dive package and taken with commercial dive boats for money to do those dives the way we see them done present their instructor and local dive center instructor during the dive.

SCUBA industry and local authorities (the "Capitaneria di Porto" responsible for activities in the sea and the "Comune" responsible for issuing business licenses to the Dive Centers in Palinuro, for example) turn a blind eye to this business lucrative activity, certainly in the Palinuro locality where the multiple fatalities took place, but in the nearly 30 years or so I have been diving I have seen it happen in many many other places and it is happening to this date for money and not for sport.

That is the way the SCUBA industry wants it and for the money which comes from it.

The SCUBA industry particularly in Palinuro is actively promoting such behaviour and activities and the training agencies of all these instructors and Dive Centers unless they are deaf and blind ought to know about this sub-set of the SCUBA business.

So, it is not the end-user fault. The end-user are sold dives and kits and dive package and taken with commercial dive boats for money to do those dives the way we see them done present their instructor and local dive center instructor during the dive.

SCUBA industry and local authorities (the "Capitaneria di Porto" responsible for activities in the sea and the "Comune" responsible for issuing business licenses to the Dive Centers in Palinuro, for example) turn a blind eye to this business lucrative activity, certainly in the Palinuro locality where the multiple fatalities took place, but in the nearly 30 years or so I have been diving I have seen it happen in many many other places and it is happening to this date for money and not for sport.

That is the way the SCUBA industry wants it and for the money which comes from it.

That's why it is a very disturbing phenomenon, as you mentioned, it is spreading like a wildfire and people think that's OK. This type of scuba diving business practices can be stopped by the scuba divers themselves if they did not gloss over the potential risks of becoming involved in a fatal scuba diving accident, did not let themselves to be fooled by dishonest and sketchy scuba diving operations, instructors and guides and demanded a higher level of standards. Furthermore, a serious investigative scuba diving journalism is desperately needed in that country to rise more awareness on this issue.

That's why it is a very disturbing phenomenon, as you mentioned, it is spreading like a wildfire and people think that's OK. This type of scuba diving business practices can be stopped by the scuba divers themselves if they did not gloss over the potential risks of becoming involved in a fatal scuba diving accident, did not let themselves to be fooled by dishonest and sketchy scuba diving operations, instructors and guides and demanded a higher level of standards. Furthermore, a serious investigative scuba diving journalism is desperately needed in that country to rise more awareness on this issue.

The divers don't know any better.

They believe what their instructors tell them and sell them about caves - which is total BS.

One diver in this incident off the top of my head was just certified OW.

Another had asthma.

As to "that country" - it is pretty bad - but is Mexico any better?

I don't think so. You see advertised the same type of cave diving and the local guides who work for tips are known to take inexperienced divers into the cave sections (well past any warning signs).

Having said that, nothing is as bad as what happens in Palinuro and the local authorities do nothing about it.

Everybody takes a lick at it I guess!

+1

all so see the same money spinning with the new BATCH , of unwasher CCR divers ,
shame ,

cazzate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom