Four dead in Italian cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you quite sure about that?

I know it's anecdotal, but my - to date only - diving in Italy involved an "offer" to enter a local cave, entrance at 40m depth, in singles, with max one light per diver, one guide for a group of nearly half a dozen customers, no line and no particular briefing about the added risk of overhead environments. The op grudgingly conceded when I firmly declined the offer and asked for an open water dive instead. I've also heard quite a few (again anecdotal) stories from mates who have been on diving vacations in warmer waters, about overhead diving practices which certainly aren't condoned by any modern dive training material.

And the three Palinuro fatalities just this august which @Dan_T linked to, are another indication that this practice isn't particularly rare.

Are you quite sure about that?

I know it's anecdotal, but my - to date only - diving in Italy involved an "offer" to enter a local cave, entrance at 40m depth, in singles, with max one light per diver, one guide for a group of nearly half a dozen customers, no line and no particular briefing about the added risk of overhead environments. The op grudgingly conceded when I firmly declined the offer and asked for an open water dive instead. I've also heard quite a few (again anecdotal) stories from mates who have been on diving vacations in warmer waters, about overhead diving practices which certainly aren't condoned by any modern dive training material.

And the three Palinuro fatalities just this august which @Dan_T linked to, are another indication that this practice isn't particularly rare.

This is unfortunately true (not cazzate which means bullsh|t).
An instructor who did not know I was cave certified led me in a cave without guide line and resented I dove with isolated twin and laying line ... because he knew the cave. I did not.

This was last summer ...

Three divers die in a cave accident, Punta Iacco, Palinuro Italy Aug. 2016

This is unfortunately true (not cazzate which means bullsh|t).
My reply was to demed's BS claim, not to the post they quoted.

And I did google "cazzate"... :)

@Storker
Sorry, I did not make myself clear.
My post meant to reinforce yours. I also have (and reported) anecdotal experience of this malpractice (and while currently in London I am a native/indigenous Italian :wink: ).

The linked Scubaboard post concerns the accident occurred last summer that you were referring to in your post.

Sorry for any incomprehension generated.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom