Fourth Element Arctic Undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remy B.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, any of you that have or had use the Fourth Element Arctic Undergarment, Pro-Cons, Good-Bad, and have you used around Cold waters 5*C for Tech Diving ?

Thanks

I have the two piece Artic undergarments that I use for most dives up to an hour (dives range from 3-8*c). I usually will started to feel the temperature after a while at depth and while on deco stops. I also have a Santi BZ400 that I'm planning on using for most dives under 5*c and longer dives at warmer temps but I haven't used it yet.

I also use the Arctic undergarment when it gets cold. It usually doesn't get down to 8 C here, but once it gets below 11 or 12 degrees, I will use it. It keeps me very warm for about an hour before I really begin to feel a chill. Even then it is tolerable. The only negative I have is if I forget to pull the pants up all the way, so that the top overlaps the bottom, I get a cold band around the middle. Forth Element also makes an thin, Xerotherm base layer that I highly recommend you use with it.

I was actually thinking in a base layer so the combination of Xerotherm as Base layer together with the Arctic undersuit, makes a good thermal protection lets say for a 2hr dive at about 4*C, any experience that you can share are very valuable.

I like low volume undersuit, of course the more bulky undergarmets offer the highest thermal protection, but what about a combination of low volume ones, can it equal the bulky ones ???

Thanks

I was actually thinking in a base layer so the combination of Xerotherm as Base layer together with the Arctic undersuit, makes a good thermal protection lets say for a 2hr dive at about 4*C, any experience that you can share are very valuable.

I like low volume undersuit, of course the more bulky undergarmets offer the highest thermal protection, but what about a combination of low volume ones, can it equal the bulky ones ???

Thanks

I'd probably be pretty chilly by the end of the dive, but then again, I do get chilled somewhat easily.

Thanks

i'd be looking at the fourth element expedition for that sort of temp / time.

well actually i would be looking at the halo 3d or santi suit for that.

For those temps, Santi bz400. Arctics won't cut it

well I got me at the end a "No Gravity" Sea Lion one piece suit, I normally don't get cold quickly, I use thermal underwear as well, it should be enough for 1 hour at 5*C I guess, I have time as well to see if I need to buy additionally a core vest before I get to do a dive like that.

It depends on your thermal tolerance. I previously owned the Fourth Element Arctic and froze after an hour in 50F degree water. I seriously doubt that at 5 degree Celcius (Low 40 degrees Fahrenheit) that you will last long with the Arctic undergarment. Yes, it has mobility and has very little buoyancy. However, its insulation properties are quite inferior to the Santi BZ400, DUI XM450 or even the Bare SB undergarments. Yes, I have used all four of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom