Free Diver drowns in St. Johns USVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gooffydawg1

Reaction score
wondering if any info out about a diver? un-certified? passing in virgin isles,,
no real info except 3rd hand "scuba" as of the moment "drowning"
but I do know one of my nephews, James Alexander, drowned 4/20,he was working in the islands there
mid 20"s just looking for a little more info, as family is not on the same page
and understandable quiet, for the moment
thanks db

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2012 at 03:38 PM ----------

Also does any one know if its common or normal for mandatory autopsy, in the VI's
information is spotty at this point, family en-route to, handle the details of bringing him home,,

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2012 at 03:50 PM ----------

just received a little more detail

Twin drowns in St. John's Solomon Bay while free-diving with his brother - News - Virgin Islands Daily News

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. Was the accident in the USVI or BVI?

If it was in the British V.I., try the Virgin Islands Search and Rescue at VISAR - Virgin Islands Search And Rescue and ask them about it.

If it was in the U.S.V.I., you can try Urban Search and Rescue at USAR

You could also try your country's consulate there or the police.

Hope that helps...

St Johns is the USVI and yes they do autopsy's if warrented.....

St John is one of the US Virgin Islands. This article was from the St John Source, a neighboring island of St Thomas where I live. So sorry for the family.

St. John Man Drowns at Solomon Bay
BY LYNDA LOHR — APRIL 21, 2012
A St. John man, 24, drowned Friday at V.I. National Park’s Solomon Bay while free diving with his twin brother, park Deputy Superintendent Mike Anderson said Saturday.
“One ended up on the bottom,” Anderson said, noting that the water was about 25 to 40 feet deep.
The two men were swimming when they decided to dive down. Anderson said they were not using masks, snorkel, and fins.
A park lifeguard did CPR, but could not revive the man.
“They tried everything they could do,” Anderson said. He said the twin who survived also required treatment.
Anderson added the two hailed from New Bern, N.C., and had been on St. John about a year. He said they both worked in restaurants.
Their names are not being released while the park sorts out the details of what happened.
Anderson said in addition to park staff, St. John Rescue, Emergency Medical Service, the Police Department, private boats from Lovango Cay, and Low Key Watersports responded.

My husband two children and myself were at Solomom beach next to the twins and their three female friends the day of the accident. My deepest sympathy to the family. I can not imagine what they are going through. When we were sitting on the beach, I couldn't help but notice how much these "twenty somethings" were enjoying their lives. They seemed so happy and were having so much fun with a beautiful, carefree day on the beach. I have been trying to get information on the incident since we found out that one of them did not make it. Having sat next to them for a few hours, I can't imagine what went so wrong that this happened. We saw the rescue attempt but were unaware of the exact circumstances until the next day. We tried to help the girls get information about what was going on as they were waiting on the beach for the boys to return not knowing whether they were the ones needing help. They finally recevied a call from a friend that said the boys were in fact the ones involved in the accident so we helped them pack up their belongings and wished them good luck with everything not knowing how serious the situation actually was. The article states that the boys had no masks, snorkel and fins...however I am 99% sure that they had snorkels and masks. I watched them go into the water just shortly after my husband and children did. If I can help the family in any way with their search for answers, I would be more than happy to communicate with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom