FREE educational program at Harbor Branch/FAU weekly by the Oceanographic Institute

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Muggsy

SB Shows and Events
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This was sent to me by Carol from FAU and she asked me to post this.
Information about the 2009 Ocean Science Lecture Series offered by Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute at Florida Atlantic University. This educational outreach program provides a forum for Harbor Branch/FAU scientists to share their most recent discoveries with our neighboring communities. The series began on Wednesday, January 7, 2009 and continues weekly through April 1, 2009. Lectures are held weekly on Wednesday at 4 and 7 PM. Admission to this popular lecture series is free to the public.

This WednesdayÃÔ lecture (January 28), Å©armful Algal Blooms on Caribbean Coral Reefs, will feature Dr. Brian Lapointe, Research Professor in the Center for Marine Ecosystem Health at Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute at Florida Atlantic University. While much of his work has been centered in the Florida Keys, Dr. Lapointe will present an overview of the pioneering work he and his colleagues performed in various parts of the Caribbean region, including the Belize Barrier Reef, Martinique, Jamaica, and Bonaire. He will also provide an update of his long-term monitoring at Looe Key reef in the lower Florida Keys, which represents the longest low-level nutrient record for a coral reef anywhere in the world. Dr. Lapointe will also discuss recent legislation and policy changes that are intended to improve water quality by reducing excessive nutrient pollution of South FloridaÃÔ coastal waters.

For more information, please contact Dr. Lapointe directly at 772-465-2400 X 276 (office), 786-295-8127 (cell) or blapoin1@hboi.fau.edu.

If I can be of further assistance, please contact me at 772-465-2400 X 671 (office), 772-216-3495 (cell) or platelady@hboi.fau.edu.

Once again, thank you for helping us educate divers about the critical research weÃÓe conducting on the Harbor Branch/FAU campus to conserve FloridaÃÔ ocean resources today and for future generations.

The Ocean Science Lecture Series provides a forum for Harbor Branch's scientists to share their most recent discoveries with our neighboring communities. Lectures are held in the auditorium of the Johnson Education Center on the Harbor Branch campus, 5600 U.S. 1 North, Fort Pierce. Presentations are at 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., followed by a meet-the-speaker reception. There is no charge to attend. If you are interested in sponsoring a lecture, or if you have any questions about the Ocean Science Lecture Series, please contact Jill Sunderland at (772) 465-2400, ext. 506, or email at education@hboi.edu.

January 7 Shirley Pomponi To Russia with Love

January 14 Joshua Voss - Who Slimed My Coral? Emerging Coral Diseases and Their Impact on Reef Ecosystems

January 21 John Scarpa - Oyster Reef Restoration Efforts in Florida

January 28 Brian Lapointe Harmful Algal Blooms on Caribbean Coral Reefs

February 4 Ellie Van Os Birds in Ditches: Marginal Wetlands Do Matter

February 11 Marilyn Mazzoil - A Synopsis of Dolphin Photo-identification Research in the Indian River Lagoon

February 18 Paul Hargraves - What's in a Name: "Red Tides" or HABs Should We Worry?

February 25 Tammy Frank - Spines, Slime, and Camouflage: How to Avoid Becoming a Deep-sea Meal

March 4 Sara Edge - Detecting Coral Responses to Stress Using Microarray Technology

March 11 Esther Guzman - Marine Drug Discovery: Bringing Cures to the Surface

March 18 Amber Shawl & Megan Davis Snails, Whorls, and Pearls: The Gastropod Research Program at Harbor Branch

Thanks for posting this, Muggsy! Now if I can only figure out how to get up to Ft. Pierce from Ft. Lauderdale in time for a lecture on a "school day"...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom