Freezing My Ass Off...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//... What temp range are you using the 400g in? I am ok in 8C water with a 7mm (even multiple dives) all in one but a drysuit would be easier for some of my diving.
Well, ignoring the fact that the OP would likely die in 8C water in a 7mm:

I first bought the 230g longs and long sleeve crew top. Don't forget the socks! Hotwool socks are a real treat.

Never needed more than my 230 g's They will last a long time if you take care of them. I'm comfortable down to about 10 C and then I start to notice a chill. I just pull my ancient worn out Polartec fleece over the Hotwool and I'm fine.

If you are getting cold, and unable to recover between dives then a drysuit is a good move.

I dive in the UK predominantly, you can use a wetsuit in the summer, BUT those that often do often end up skipping the second dive because their core temperature has dropped during the dive and they can't warm up between dives.

I have dived in California, in hire gear ( a wetsuit), and not found d it a problem. But, if I was based here I would probably use a drysuit, especially during the older months. It's not just the water temp that's an issue, it's the wind chill when you get out and the fact that you are using body temp to dry the wetsuit if you keep it on, and putting on a wet wetsuit is never enjoyable.

Drysuit diving is not as difficult as often stated. It's different, there is an adjustment. It is an easily mastered skill, like learning buoyancy control using a stab jacket (or wing). In many ways it's lazy diving, with cvd (constant volume dump), once set (and you have confidence in it), you never consciously dump air on ascent, the dump valve does that as the volume increases as the pressure (depth) decreases.

The only other consideration to consider is that you can get very warm in a dry suit on the surface if the ambient temp is high and / or you have strong direct sunlight. This can cause heat stroke, at worst, or heavy perspiration prior to entering the water that can have a 'chilling' effect on the body once you finally get in.
Also, on long dives, it is not desirable to relieve yourself in a dry suit, unless you are using a happy or pee valve ( which is more complicated fro women then men). The issue of relieving oneself in a dry suit does mean that people often fail to drink sufficient fluids due to this issue - not to be recommended.

I would give a drysuit a go, even if you purchase a secondhand one that leaks, you can learn a lot and gain confidence prior to investing in a good one. You do have the advantage that dui are just up the road in San Diego.

Gareth

I first bought the 230g longs and long sleeve crew top. Don't forget the socks! Hotwool socks are a real treat.

Never needed more than my 230 g's They will last a long time if you take care of them. I'm comfortable down to about 10 C and then I start to notice a chill. I just pull my ancient worn out Polartec fleece over the Hotwool and I'm fine.
Apologies again for the slight derail but I should have clarified whether that was in Neo or trilam as the drysuit I got is trilam so might need thicker if you are talking 230g in neo.

... the drysuit I got is trilam ...
Both of my suits are neo. Yes, you would certainly want thicker, or even better, ask Storker how he layers. IIRC, he uses a mesh against the skin and something more substantial over it.

As for the hijack, not really. I'm in there pitching to help the OP do him/herself a favor. People have different cold tolerances, mine is above average. See pic for a really cold day, line tending was way more brutal than diving due to the air temp, note the hole freezing over. My suit was wet from my last dive, arm in the water was warmer than the one in the air. We were out there all day and I was fine.

*drysuit*

Attachments

• Line Tending.JPG
    Line Tending.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 32
What is a Lavacore? I have heard of them but it looks like they are not neoprene so I don't understand how they work.

It's magical new materials also found in fancy boots and ski jackets, among other places. The magic piece is a "one-way" membrane that "breathes out" but doesn't let the cold/wind/water in. Typically they put a scratch-proof layer like lycra on top and a thermal fleece layer on the inside. The main problem is it's not as stretchy/flexible as neoprene. If you're not built to their exact sizing, it may not work for you.

Frogskins www.probewetsuits.com/shop/category.asp?Cat=24 are supposedly the best of that crop as they only use the fleece inside: the top two layers are regular neoprene & lycra.

The fact remains the OP has about 2 weeks 'till fundies. Not really enough time to find a drysuit, figure out undies, do a couple dives to get acquainted.

I agree the drysuit is the right long term answer, but making her wetsuit survivable is the short term reality.

A good quality hood is a great idea, I forget who recommended it, but heat loss via your head is huge.
Warm water to pour into the suit is a help, and avoiding cooling by evap during the SI is another cheap, easy way to make the course tolerable.

Tobin

Agree completely about the hood. Actually, I did read somewhere that the heat loss through the head is nowhere near as much as commonly believed--as compared to the rest of the body--like a difference of only 3 or 7% more or something. However, apparently the skin on the face and head is much more sensitive to cold.

RENT a Farmer John and start diving it NOW using all the tricks, or try to reschedule fundies...

@TMHeimer: Agree. My A/C pal always said that you adjust comfort by either warming the feet or cooling the head. Just like being overheated and putting your face into the A/C. You feel better immediately, but your core temp didn't change a bit.

@OP:
IMHO, your core temp is an issue. That is nothing to play with. If there was a custom wetsuit out there that performed like a drysuit, it would be all the rage right HERE on SB.

Last edited:
Learning to use a Farmer John in shallow water is not all that easy, either. That's a lot of neoprene compressing and uncompressing as depths change. When I was a DM, I had to assist classes being conducted on a platform in shallow water (15-20 feet), and I had to wear a 7mm Farmer John. I had to swim around the platform continually, constantly checking to make sure the students were all OK. The amount of buoynacy change in only a few feet of ascents and descents was amazing to me.

People do dive in 8 deg C water in a 7. I have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom