Freezing My Ass Off...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had been thinking that I would eventually move to a drysuit, but I'm a new diver and learning to control buoyancy with a drysuit is intimidating.
From a new diver, and one which just started diving dry, there is one more thing to consider. I have a 5 mil farmer john that used to fit great, to the point I needed to flush it at temperatures other divers found cold enough to layer themselves. And then I've lost weight. Now, my suit starts to flush itself. Luckily, I was on a course that includes dry suit diving. So after two dives in wet suit I transferred to a dry suit. It leaks at my wrists, more on my left arm, but I was never cold, not even on a 4 dive day, in 60F water. As for control, I've got basics in 10 minutes, but needed about 5 or 6 dives to get comfortable with it, so it's not hard to master. My point is, if you go drysuit it can accommodate differing weight, while wet suite is pretty much "one weight suit".
I know this does not really help you with your immediate problem, but just one more thing to consider if you go for a new suit.
Anyway, good luck with your fundies and your new suit.

@laikabear ,
I'd be interested in your instructor's take on your question. Can you post back when you've had that discussion?

Half the course is over - the pool half. The ocean dives are this coming weekend.

I did 5 ocean dives the weekend before the class, layering my 7 mm full suit over my 2.5 mm full suit with my non-attached 5/7 hood. I was warmer and the water was 51F, colder than I had dived before. I needed 2 more lbs of weight, not bad.

I plan to do the class ocean dives with that combo. The ambient temperature has warmed up significantly since the Reef Check dives where I was so cold. The water temp will likely be a little warmer, too. I think I will be fine with what I have.

My instructor did loan me a 3 mm hooded vest, but I think I'm going to use my own gear. I am taking the vest on our trip just in case, but will probably return it to him unused.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom