Fresh water coral?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not everyone is a marine biologist. On first glance I can see how someone, myself included, might think they're coral.

Lately, I've noticed some light pink/white splotches on some of the attractions at the local freshwater hole. They are generally round and flat and, as far as I know, only grow on metal- I've never seen them on the local rocks that inhabit the quarry. They also seem to grow in the "shade"- not directly exposed to the surface light. Any ideas of what they might be?

scratchmyback:
Not everyone is a marine biologist. On first glance I can see how someone, myself included, might think they're coral.

Hmmm... I had to think about this statement.

Okay, I'll amend my earlier response.
The only way anybody could confuse freshwater sponges with corals is if said person normally confused corals with marine sponges, macroalgae, tunicates, and encrusting bryozoans. :thumbs_up:

Ha ha.

Good info here, nice to have a resident marine biologist!

BidAndDive.com:
Never heard of it. Maybe it was a stalagmite (or stalagtite, because I have no idea what the difference is) formation?

I used to get them confused until someone told me that StalacTites are on the Top.

Back
Top Bottom