Fresh water coral?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only the zooxanthellate corals require sunlight. The rest do not.

But I too love the Holiday Inn Express.

archman:
Only the zooxanthellate corals require sunlight. The rest do not.

But I too love the Holiday Inn Express.

Thanks for the info! I thought all corals had symbotic alage. :11doh: But then again, you should expect a rockhead (geologist) like me to get it wrong. Besides corals have to be dead and fossilized before they become really interesting to me. :wink:

We used to think it was only certain types of corals that contained algae. Now we've found the little cretins in heaps of other cnidarians, sponges, tunicates... even some sea slugs.

There is occasionally interest in science fiction literature for *green-skinned people* to derive their nutrition from sitting in front of a sun lamp. That's sort of like coating your SUV with solar panels and expecting more than your windshield wipers to work.:D

OWSI176288:
Thanks for the info! I thought all corals had symbotic alage. :11doh: But then again, you should expect a rockhead (geologist) like me to get it wrong. Besides corals have to be dead and fossilized before they become really interesting to me. :wink:
I don't think the deep corals could have much algae growth?

Back in the sixties, we dove all the wrecks from Indiana thru Chicago and up to Door County. One of my dive gurus pointed out blocks of swiss cheese looking rock and called them fresh water coral. I believe they were ballast remnants (jetsam or wreck debris) of material used in a smelting or casting process. I have a small 5x7x3" rectangular block of it at home.

I know this is an old thread but the included pictures were taken by me, about the time the question was asked.

The infantile rules on this forum wouldn't let me post the URL's to the pictures. If you would like to see the pics, email me at John@JcGilmour.ca
John

I grow soft and hard corals at home. SPS, LPS, etc..I can tell you there are tons and tons of divers that have no idea whats live coral and whats not. I have dived with people over a reef that grab on a live coral and think its just a rock. I have people look at my SPS corals and go "you mean those are live?" So to say someone can not tell the difference between freshwater sponge and corals is assuming way to much. Fact of the matter is there are a lot of divers who dive to look at fish. Thats fine for them, but for me it's all about the reef. Lucky for me tomorrow Ill be having Xmas dinner listening to waves and on the 26th Ill be diving with family.

In the quarry I just pretend...:D

Now I see I am responding to an old bumped post.... doh!

I know this is an old thread but the included pictures were taken by me, about the time the question was asked.

The infantile rules on this forum wouldn't let me post the URL's to the pictures. If you would like to see the pics, email me at John@JcGilmour.ca
John
Hi, welcome to SB. That infantile rule is very common on message boards to prevent spamming. Just post 5 more times I think.

And you may want to remove your email within the 12 hour limit to edit so you don't get spammer from the bots crawling thru the net harvesting addressed.

I have heard of fresh water coral or at least the term anyway but dont know where any is. I have never heard of anybody saying they have seen any either.

Back
Top Bottom