Front or Back zipper for wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MerlinDV

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting a 2-3 mm warm water shorty wetsuit. I was wondering what is reccommended - front zippers or back zippers? As a water skiier I've also had back zippers, but with diving I'm not sure. What do you think?

We have both kinds and prefer the front zip because--for us--it is easier to zip. However, it is said that back zip leads to a warmer internal environment due to less leakage.

For a summertime suit, that may be less of an issue.

We have shorties, but we sort of retired them after a bout with jellyfish. Sounds a little candy a--, but there it is. Have you considered O'Niell's 2.5mm fleeces? We really like those for the Caribbean in summer. Not too warm, easy to get in and out of and very confortable. They are front zipped.

One small problem with fleece: it does not dry our as fast as neoprene and it congeneric polymers.

Joewr

Well, I don't imagine warmth is the main issue.

Another question for you - I can't use my regular water skiing wetsuit can I? Something to do with the fact that it compresses easiliy?

Thanks,

Merlin

MerlinDV,

Actually warmth is the main issue! That is the main function of a wet (or dry) suit! Simple physics of heat transfer: your body is a 98.6 deg F and the Caribbean in summer is about 80 deg F; your body will "try" to heat that whole Caribbean and you will get mighty cold! Now, water skiers and swimmers do not notice all that because the sun is warming them and because they get out of the water when they get cold. But you will be down at 90 ft (or whatever) for one hour (or so) and will not be able to get solar heated or climb immediately out.

Now, it is true that you can scuba in the Carib without a wet suit, but most find it more comfortable to use one--it is a matter of sensativity to cold. We have been with divers who wore nothing more than a bathing suit and t-shirt. However, Barbara and I just feel alot more comfortable in a wet suit. We have dived without and noticed the difference!

You can do the experiment and try diving with and without--see if it makes a difference to you. I suspect it will.

One more issue: wet suits do provide some protection against little nasty things with stings: coral, fire worms, jelly fish, etc. In fact, that is why we have our full dive fleeces: we ran into a very large school of thimble-size jelly fish and suffered some stings. Normally coral is not an issue; butif there is surge, you might get bounced against some coral: a wet suit will help you avoid abrasions. Remember, though that touching coral can damage the coral...

And, finally, I have never waterskied and have no idea about how such suits compare to scuba wet suits.

Sorry for the overly long post!

Joewr

Merlin

If you have a full wetsuit, check the outside. All those little cuts and snags could have been in your hide instead of on the suit. I go with a fullsuit, not a shorty.
I have used both a front zip and back zip. I'll stay with a back zip until something better (clamshell side zip?)comes along.

Thanks, Ken

Thanks guys,
Joe,
I realize what a wetsuits for (same reason as for water skiing :)) What I was trying to say is that my main concern is protection, rather than warmth. I'm been diving in the Carribean and Mexico, both with no wetsuit, and it didn't bother me at all. What bothered me was those damn jellyfish :)

Hmm,you might have a point luvdiving. Although, I'm usually pretty carefull with my legs. After all, if you are brushing up against corals then you desearve to be stung.

Anyone else?

Merlin

Merlin,

I use the shorty waterski wetsuit. It works fine, but the posters above have an excellent point about leaving yourself vulnerable to stings, etc.

If you don't have the extra cash to spend on a full suit, just go with what you've got.

BTW, everyone's body reacts differently to "cold". The water temps in St. Kitts/Nevis were about 80 deg and the surface temp about 86 deg. My son and I were quite warm, and others on our boat were chilled. YMMV.

Hi Detroit Diver,
So you're had no problems with a regular wetsuit? No compression issues? Anyone else?

merlin

Merlin,

I guess when you're using a 1.5 or 2 mil wetsuit, there's not much left to compress!! I was pretty close to dead on with my weighting, so descending was a little tough. But at depth (45-70 fsw) bouyancy was just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom