Ft. Myers Beach Pier Clean-up October 6 (new date)

Discussion in 'Florida Diving' started by SharkBaite, Aug 9, 2007.

1. SharkBaite

SharkBaite Single Diver

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    For those of you that may be interested, I am starting the organization process for a beach pier clean up in Ft. Myers.

I need at this time anyone interested in doing this event. Lee County Parks is providing workmans comp insurance, but I would ask that everyone who plans to attend have DAN insurance. This will be a LOW vis dive and will pose some serious hazards as a clean-up has not been done and noone knows the condition, advanced divers only unless you have documented dives in your log book for LOW vis/ or LOW vis training.

Also needed is volunteers for topside support on the pier and also on the beach.
    Anyone having a boat in the area to help keep an eye on divers and to provide a safety net for our divers. I will be trying to get either USCG or Sherriffs Marine unit there as well.

The date of the event and meetings are TBD and I will let everyone interested know as more details come up.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

2. DebbyDiver

DebbyDiver Crazy for Kayak Diving! ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives:
    Hey, that sounds interesting! Please post more info as it becomes available. I'd bring my kayak over if that would be of some assistance.

3. SharkBaite

SharkBaite Single Diver

Your more than welcome to come along, I have missed you at each gathering maybe this time we can actually say Hi LOL

4. ReefGuy

ReefGuy Scuba Instructor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I'm interested in this. I don't know if Zech will be up to it yet (we'll see how he does in Key Largo next weekend), but I'm definately interested.

5. shellim123

shellim123 Look, I'm an atom!

# of Dives: 50 - 99
  6. Scuba_Jenny

Scuba_Jenny Buoyancy Babe ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    You help us, we help you. I am there.. or at least willing to plan on attending!

Ya'll have done great on this coast over the years helping clean up the Pompano Pier, it is only right we return the honor!

7. JustJoe

JustJoe Barracuda

I now work for the Fort Myers Beach Fire District. I may be able to give you some help getting support in the form of the USCG or Sheriff. Maybe. I can personally help in other ways.

I will send a PM with my work info.

Joe

8. Trwmodela

Trwmodela Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Can you get the Pier CLOSED to fishing for the cleanup? Don't know how this would work with the pier open.

Lee County owns and maintains the Pier not the Town of Fort Myers Beach.

Maybe Lee County could mark off some parking spots for unloading & loading at Lynn Hall Memorial Park.

http://www.ecotrail.com/lynn_hall.htm

I am on my Nekton trip from Sept 15 to Oct 3, 2007.

9. CBulla

CBulla ~..facebook conch..~ ScubaBoard Supporter

Hey, I guess I'm in by proxie eh? :lol:

Joe, your work for the fire disctrict?! I used to vollie there a few years back.. some of the ole fellers may still remember me.. like Zippy :)

Trust me, we get it closed ;)

10. truck1

truck1 Single Diver

depending on the day I am interested.I might have a few other people who might be able to help

11. SharkBaite

SharkBaite Single Diver

Well First of all Yes the pier WILL be closed, and as Jenny stated we have all helped in doing some work for the east coast so this is by no mean only for the gulf coast divers.

Joe I will be giving you a call shortly just as soon as they send me the papers to fill out for the clean-up. I would love to have about 30+ divers and support staff to help in this first endeavor on our coast besides for Naples.

I am thinking of trying to schedule the clean-up 30-45 days out depending on the support we an gather and weather conditions. I will be seeing about closing the pier down for at least an hour or two prior to the event to look at areas that need the most work, so we can have a plan of attach.

I don't think Ocean Watch is over on this side but will try and contact them as well as the Fla Sea Grant.

I will let ya'll know

Brian

12. stu_in_fl

stu_in_fl Divemaster

# of Dives:
    I'm interested as well (as long as I'm in town on the designated day)

would be good to get some agreement with whoever runs the parking lot next to the peir that it can be "reserved" for cleanup cars for that time period. (not sure if that's LeeCounty Parks and Recs or FM Beach ?)

13. CBulla

Thats definitely LC P&R - http://www.leeparks.org/ -- Beach Parks, Lynn Hall Park

You know, there are a few other places that would be GREAT to do a clean up at -- Big Carlos Pass, Little Carlos Pass, Matanzas Bridge, Sanibel Pier...

We've dived in Boca Grande Pass in the past for clean-ups there and that is both a treat and dive for the not-so-weak-of-heart advanced dive.

14. ReefGuy

ReefGuy Scuba Instructor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    If you're interested, I just had a callout that involved Lee County SO dive team. I can pass the word here, and see if they're interested in lending a hand. Also, if the dive is on a Thursday, I can probably get our team there too.

15. JustJoe

JustJoe Barracuda

Hey Colin,

Zippy was on shift yesterday. I did ask Tom Glover if he remembered you and he described you to a "T". Even the bleached hair!:D

They will close the pier. There might be a problem with the little shop that operates on the pier because they sell bait and such. This would most definitely effect his sales for the day. County guys should be able to work that out.

This will be a task. I can only imagine the junk under this pier. Not only the fishing tackle, but the junk thrown over during the fireworks will be down there as well.

Joe

16. CBulla

LOL Tommy! He was my EMT class instructor to! I still feel like I should work there, ya know... bleached hair? I've never bleached my hair... interesting.

Yeah, the tackle shop is a trick.

I pulled fireworks detail once.. that was fun! Yes, that'll all be there... and buckets of junk.. maybe a nitwit or two who jumped off and wasn't found...

17. CBulla

Brian, whats new with this?

18. matts1w

matts1w Scuba Instructor

# of Dives:
    Hey all-

Just got back from from a summer in Fiji and the Solomon Islands otherwise I would have been all over this sooner

Anyway, I am so in as I kinda live there and Dean's Dive Center will do all we can to promote, etc... A weekend would be ideal obviously, but shutting down the peir on a weekend may be sketchy. Maybe early on a Sunday??? Stupid real job makes weekdays impossible.

Colin's idea about Big Carlos may be better, but damn that dive scares me.... Last time I went for stones there I kept my eyes closed more than open.

19. Trwmodela

Trwmodela Nassau Grouper

I would think the boat traffic and currents would make Big Carlos Pass difficult and dangerous.

Matt glad to see you are home safely.

20. CBulla

I think BCP would be FUN! I love diving Boca Grande and my double dip on the Duane a few weeks ago was definitely 39 minutes of rightous diving. Of course, my idea of fun is a little different than most folks.

If we did a clean in BCP we'd have to enroll FWC, USCG, and LCSO to be out along with closing the use of the channel for a few hours.