Ft. Myers Beach Pier Clean-up October 6 (new date)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well First of all Yes the pier WILL be closed, and as Jenny stated we have all helped in doing some work for the east coast so this is by no mean only for the gulf coast divers.

Joe I will be giving you a call shortly just as soon as they send me the papers to fill out for the clean-up. I would love to have about 30+ divers and support staff to help in this first endeavor on our coast besides for Naples.

I am thinking of trying to schedule the clean-up 30-45 days out depending on the support we an gather and weather conditions. I will be seeing about closing the pier down for at least an hour or two prior to the event to look at areas that need the most work, so we can have a plan of attach.

I don't think Ocean Watch is over on this side but will try and contact them as well as the Fla Sea Grant.

I will let ya'll know

Brian

I'm interested as well (as long as I'm in town on the designated day)

would be good to get some agreement with whoever runs the parking lot next to the peir that it can be "reserved" for cleanup cars for that time period. (not sure if that's LeeCounty Parks and Recs or FM Beach ?)

Thats definitely LC P&R - http://www.leeparks.org/ -- Beach Parks, Lynn Hall Park

You know, there are a few other places that would be GREAT to do a clean up at -- Big Carlos Pass, Little Carlos Pass, Matanzas Bridge, Sanibel Pier...

We've dived in Boca Grande Pass in the past for clean-ups there and that is both a treat and dive for the not-so-weak-of-heart advanced dive.

If you're interested, I just had a callout that involved Lee County SO dive team. I can pass the word here, and see if they're interested in lending a hand. Also, if the dive is on a Thursday, I can probably get our team there too.

Hey Colin,

Zippy was on shift yesterday. I did ask Tom Glover if he remembered you and he described you to a "T". Even the bleached hair!:D

They will close the pier. There might be a problem with the little shop that operates on the pier because they sell bait and such. This would most definitely effect his sales for the day. County guys should be able to work that out.

This will be a task. I can only imagine the junk under this pier. Not only the fishing tackle, but the junk thrown over during the fireworks will be down there as well.

Joe

CBulla:
Joe, your work for the fire disctrict?! I used to vollie there a few years back.. some of the ole fellers may still remember me.. like Zippy :)

Trust me, we get it closed :wink:

JustJoe:
Hey Colin,

Zippy was on shift yesterday. I did ask Tom Glover if he remembered you and he described you to a "T". Even the bleached hair!:D

They will close the pier. There might be a problem with the little shop that operates on the pier because they sell bait and such. This would most definitely effect his sales for the day. County guys should be able to work that out.

This will be a task. I can only imagine the junk under this pier. Not only the fishing tackle, but the junk thrown over during the fireworks will be down there as well.

Joe
LOL Tommy! He was my EMT class instructor to! I still feel like I should work there, ya know... bleached hair? I've never bleached my hair... interesting.

Yeah, the tackle shop is a trick.

I pulled fireworks detail once.. that was fun! Yes, that'll all be there... and buckets of junk.. maybe a nitwit or two who jumped off and wasn't found...

Hey all-

Just got back from from a summer in Fiji and the Solomon Islands otherwise I would have been all over this sooner

Anyway, I am so in as I kinda live there and Dean's Dive Center will do all we can to promote, etc... A weekend would be ideal obviously, but shutting down the peir on a weekend may be sketchy. Maybe early on a Sunday??? Stupid real job makes weekdays impossible.

Colin's idea about Big Carlos may be better, but damn that dive scares me.... Last time I went for stones there I kept my eyes closed more than open.

I would think the boat traffic and currents would make Big Carlos Pass difficult and dangerous.

Matt glad to see you are home safely.

I think BCP would be FUN! I love diving Boca Grande and my double dip on the Duane a few weeks ago was definitely 39 minutes of rightous diving. Of course, my idea of fun is a little different than most folks.

If we did a clean in BCP we'd have to enroll FWC, USCG, and LCSO to be out along with closing the use of the channel for a few hours.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom