Ft. Myers Beach Pier Clean-up October 6 (new date)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow...I want to do this but NO WAY can I be there at 6:45 a.m. from the East Coast. Does anyone have a couch I can crash on Friday night in the area?

SharkBaite:
Requirements are this. Divers must be AOW either NAUI or PADI equiv. and have DAN insurance. Since this is a first time event and the conditions under the pier are unknown, it will be a mandatory item. No Exceptions.
I'll go walk around the pier this weekend at low tide, I'll tell you whats there :lol:

Have fun and good luck! I've got another event scheduled on that day.

SharkBaite:
Requirements are this. Divers must be AOW either NAUI or PADI equiv. and have DAN insurance. Since this is a first time event and the conditions under the pier are unknown, it will be a mandatory item. No Exceptions.

Well have fun, I won't be there. I would like to know why DAN is required for a volunteer diver when a waiver is signed and any accident would be covered under the counties workmans comp policy. I also disagree with this being an advanced dive aside from under the pier possibly and the depths are well under 10', especially since I swim the area around the pier all the time.

Gabrielle:
Well have fun, I won't be there. I would like to know why DAN is required for a volunteer diver when a waiver is signed and any accident would be covered under the counties workmans comp policy. I also disagree with this being an advanced dive aside from under the pier possibly and the depths are well under 10', especially since I swim the area around the pier all the time.

Workmans Comp does not always cover a diving related incident much less an accident, the waiver only protects everyone else from a lawsuit, claiming your responsible for your own actions wether at fault or not, does not have anything to do with insurance.

As for it being a shallow dive and being from the area does not make you an expert on whats down there, these are the rules set forth and will be followed, next year maybe they will be relaxed after everyone knows what is actually down there. Being that this will be a low vis dive most OW students are not allowed to partake for those reasons, Low vis diving requires alittle more training and or more experience.

I will not be making exceptions for anyone wether known or not known. If you don't agree with this then fine your allowed to have your opinion as everyone else, we have made these rules and the Fl. Sea Grant agrees with these decisions.

Please do not post anything negative about this event or about these rules, they will be edited, and or removed.

My dive club will not allow you to be a member without proof of current DAN insurance. I simply cannot imagine getting in the water without it.

There can be currents and entanglements under a pier, and there can be lots of task loading involved with picking up debris.

Brian, when Ocean Watch has under-pier cleanups over here, the kayak divers help out on the surface...would my kayak be useful or should I just dive? I have under-pier cleanup experience and have never done the surface support, but I'm willing to bring the yak over if it would be helpful. I'll need a close-in place to park in order to launch it, though.

...still need a couch or bed to crash on, or a clean quiet place to park my air mattress, for Friday night...

DebbyDiver:
My dive club will not allow you to be a member without DAN insurance. I simply cannot imagine getting in the water without it.

There can be currents and entanglements under a pier, and there can be lots of task loading involved with picking up debris.

Brian, when Ocean Watch has under-pier cleanups over here, the kayak divers help out on the surface...would my kayak be useful or should I just dive? I have under-pier cleanup experience and have never done the surface support, but I'm willing to bring the yak over if it would be helpful. I'll need a close-in place to park in order to launch it, though.

...still need a couch or bed to crash on, or a clean quiet place to park my air mattress, for Friday night...

I am sure I can find a couch for you to crash on if ya don't mind cats crawling all over ya... LOL

SharkBaite:
Please do not post anything negative about this event or about these rules, they will be edited, and or removed.
Alright....nothing about the event. Only personal attacks against you:D :D
Anyway cat whisperer, I'm in:mooner:

I have five cats of my own...doesn't sound like a problem to me, LOL!

Cat whisperer, HAHAHAHA

DebbyDiver:
My dive club will not allow you to be a member without proof of current DAN insurance. I simply cannot imagine getting in the water without it.

Parking at the park is not far from the beach, I am sure we can find a way to get you into the water..... Using your yak may be easier for getting under the pier for divers under there trying to pull stuff up or just for diving off of.....

OK, we can discuss it closer to the event...at my next Kayuba meeting, I'll ask specifically how they helped at the last pier cleanup because I was in the water for that one. I look forward to this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom