Ft Wetherill 60 degrees too cold for wetsuit on Thursday 5/18?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thinking of Diving Ft Wetherill, 7mil wetsuit, but air temp Low42-High60 looks pretty chilling especially coming out with soggy hair and clammy. Anyone else diving wetsuit at Ft Wetherill yet?
Otherwise it looks like a sunny calm day with high tide at 7:30am, so a perfect morning.
I always bring jugs of warm water to rinse

Totally dependent on the person and the wetsuit. Some new englanders dive wetsuits all winter.

The sun being out makes a big difference in my experience. If you're concerned just plan for a potentially short shallow dive, bring warm dry clothes and a warm drink in a thermos.

May be a little late, but it's been ok lately. Today is definitely a bit chilly but I've been there recently with air temps in the 50s, water in the low 50s, and it's been ok as long as you have your warm water and/or warm drink. If you don't already have one, I'd highly recommend investing in a surf/dive surface coat such as: The Original Waterparka

One of the best investments I've made as a diver.

I saw a bunch of wetsuit divers there about a week ago. Air temps were a little higher probably around 65.

It's all dependent on your body.

I start diving once the water temp is 55 or above. 5 mil wetsuit, hood gloves. Usually wait for warm sunny days to start. Air 65 or better preferred. Early season May dives usually short, 1/2 hour or less due to getting cold.

And yes everyone is different when it comes to water temps, thermal protection and tolerances

We were mostly in 7mm (some in 5) and able to comfortably pull off a typical 45 minute dive. Water temp 50 at 40', 54 at surface. Hands and toes are the first to go for me.

We were mostly in 7mm (some in 5) and able to comfortably pull off a typical 45 minute dive. Water temp 50 at 40', 54 at surface. Hands and toes are the first to go for me.
Thank you for letting me know it was!
Hope you saw some good critters!

Back
Top Bottom