Full Face Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soggybadger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks. I have a question from my better half with regards to ff masks. The misses is suffering from jaw problems on dives due to dislocation. She is looking at options to reduce discomfort / pain and is asking whether these mask are much cop or are they a waste of lots of cash. Her idea is that they will be better because she won't have a reg in her mouth and so will be more comfortable also are there smaller lighter regs that won't strain her jaw as much. This may sound like a stupid question but this could be the difference between her continuing diving or having to give it up. She is suffering quite a lot.btw all our diving is cold water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.​

It could definitely be an option. I've had several people with issues that an FFM provided a solution. My shop offers an intro to FFM as a stepping stone, essentially a couple hours in a pool to see how the mask works and if it will solve some issues. Certainly better than spending $1000 and finding out it doesn't work.

Again, another option is a lighter second stage (AquaLung Mikron), a 90 deg elbow and a flex hose of proper length. And even a change in hose routing. Also, a different mouth piece as well. Best of luck.

A FFM "could" be worse since the face seal presses on the lower jaw. Maybe she can borrow one to try out? She doesn't have to get in the water, just wear it sitting in a chair for an hour.
Thanks fella. We can probably get hold of one to try as you suggested and then the misses can really get a good idea of what it's like. All advice is greatly appreciated as she loves scuba and wants to keep going.

Yes, you can get smaller and lighter regulators, but one thing to look at and think about carefully is hose routing and length etc. as well.

I have had students who have had discomfort because the hose was too short, or routed so that it was constantly 'pulling' slightly and over time this became uncomfortable.

There are some very flexible light hoses out there, Miflex do some, and I am sure other manufacturers do as well. When you next dive check how much movement your wife has, can she comfortably look over her left shoulder without the regulator pulling?

If not then a slightly longer more flexible hose might help, and be a lot cheaper than a FFM.

Regards - P

Yes, you can get smaller and lighter regulators, but one thing to look at and think about carefully is hose routing and length etc. as well.

I have had students who have had discomfort because the hose was too short, or routed so that it was constantly 'pulling' slightly and over time this became uncomfortable.

There are some very flexible light hoses out there, Miflex do some, and I am sure other manufacturers do as well. When you next dive check how much movement your wife has, can she comfortably look over her left shoulder without the regulator pulling?

If not then a slightly longer more flexible hose might help, and be a lot cheaper than a FFM.

Regards - P
She has no problem turning her head to either side but thinks weight and drag are having an effect and also a combination of mask hood and reg making her jaw painful due to the dislocation she suffers

No idea on the FFM, but you can also get custom molded mouthpieces that are supposed to help that kind of problem.
She has got a custom mouth piece that you put in hot water to shape and that has helped she says.

She has got a custom mouth piece that you put in hot water to shape and that has helped she says.
The seacure is the one I've heard of, but there are others out there that work a bit differently.

If you want to try the FFM I'd suggest finding a shop that will rent you one (or two) and do a familiarization course, there are a bunch of things you need to do differently with a FFM and they will go over things like air shares and such that you don't want to try to solve on the fly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom