Gadgets vs essential equipment, when is it just excessive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seand03

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Below is my current setup. I have just upgraded from my GoPro to a Sealife DC1400 with the gopro on top.

Setup:
X Tek backplate w/60 lb bladder
Dive computer with retracted attached to right chest
Octo attached near dive computer
Safety sausage on lower back
Large spear tipped knife left hip
Small blunt knife on computer hose
Camera

With the gopro on a pole I felt like that was about right, nothing really got in the way. In all fairness I haven't used the new camera, but with the bulk of it it got me thinking. I feel like it is getting excessive at this point and I would like to add some additional gear. 2 lights large and small, writing slate, backup wrist computer, maybe even a pony bottle. I just worry with around 60 dives I'm overdoing it on needless crap. The only issue ive ever had underwater was a reverse block that led to a barotrauma. I've never came up low on air, lost awareness of anything going on or had any indication I'm trying to do to much.

With my setup I don't have pockets, so any gear has to be attached. I worry adding extra cords and retractable leashes could lead to problems, especially if an issue does arise and things get tangled. I do regularly practice emergancy drills.

Is this a valid concern, or am I being overly paranoid?

On a side note, I got the camera because of the sports chalet closing I got the entire setup for about 700 out the door.
_DSC0366.JPG

You sure are high tech! Just kidding, I am 20 years old, using a Sherwood that is 30 years old, and I don't even own a dive computer. I feel like Fred Flintstone on the dive boat. I see room for a couple more d-rings, and gadgets. Are you diving sites where extra gear could easily get hung on a wreck or other obstacle? I guess it just depends are how comfortable you are with a lot of extra stuff. I've dove with a few divers who must have had 40lbs of extra gear, and they let it distract them to the point of being unsafe. Kinda like some pilots I know more that have more avionics in their planes than they know what to do with.

It's hard to say, Pensacola is where I will be diving most in the near future. I dive all over though Hawaii, California, and Florida are the usual spots though.

I read the thread on task loading and feel like I'm fairly good on that. I have excellent buoyancy control I don't have to put much effort into it, awareness of air consumption/depth is a non issue as well, I always air on the side of caution. My biggest issue is my dive buddy. It's almost always my wife, she gets easily distracted and dosnt pay attention to what's going on with me. She has had issues in the past and I have had to help her. She once lost a weight pouch, and started floating up panicking. I've had to help her stay down to avoid rapidly assending. If she has an emergancy I fully expect to have to help immediately so I stay very close. That's my biggest area of concern.

I am an air traffic controller so multi tasking is second nature. I just don't want to be irresponsible about it and add to much to soon. I think adding something new every few dives might be the best corse of action. If I think it's dangerous ditch some gear. I just wanted some extra opinions.

I feel like it is getting excessive at this point and I would like to add some additional gear. 2 lights large and small, writing slate, backup wrist computer, maybe even a pony bottle. I just worry with around 60 dives I'm overdoing it on needless crap.

Seand03,

FWIW, I dove the same gear I purchased new c. 1987, for several years. (See my profile.) I was very happy diving it, and never felt the need to purchase anything additional. Things changed, however, first when I took a cavern/basic cave course, and then again when I moved to Michigan and began doing extended range diving on Great Lakes shipwrecks. It's prudent to use a lot of (redundant) gear when doing those kinds of dives.

Ever since I moved away from near the Great Lakes, my gear has become simple and basic again. Back to basics. No computer. Analog everything. No light unless necessary. Use the surface as my redundant air supply. Even began diving without a BC last season. Hope to do more of this this season.

Simple gear makes recreational diving so easy, such fun, and relatively inexpensive after the initial gear purchases. Moreover, it's easier (and cheaper!) to maintain fewer items than many items, I think.

FWIW.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Wow, Air traffic control! I salute you. Very demanding job, more so than flying an airplane in my opinion. Where at, if you don't mind me asking? We have probably talked if you work the east coast. I would say a pony bottle would be a good option. Many dive shops near me (McGuire AFB, NJ) require a pony bottle to dive with their boat. I can relate to a buddy panicking. One buddy I dove with freaked when he found a nurse shark hiding inside a wreck and started panicking. I had to grab his tank valve to keep him from kicking to the surface, 110 feet above. It is kind of ironic because he was a Army Ranger who isn't afraid of anything, Ha!

I see room for a couple more d-rings

You do? I see already a few too many of them.

Why so much lift? Unless you are diving some huge tank or doubles there is rarely a need for that much lift. 30ish lbs is usually way more than a single tank diver needs. Unless you are diving at night, no real need for a large light.

Far too much lift for a single tank rig. Can you replace the X-Tek harness with a single piece of webbing and three D-rings? Get the regulator hoses under control so they're not making big loops around your head (the hose for the BC is much too long). Ditch the big knife. You can either glue pockets to your wet suit or get a pair or neoprene shorts with pockets in order to get the smaller stuff under control.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom