Garmin MK3 --- Right around the corner!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea_Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I can confirm that the MK3 is being released within weeks. A Garmin rep brought a functional prototype into the shop where I work, just a couple days ago.

The full capabilities will be revealed at DEMA, but I can tell you this:

-Better screen (AMOLED)
-Swapping transmitter for transceiver
-Text communications between multiple MK3s
-Range of approx. 30m underwater utilizing sonar technology
-Estimated $500 price increase for the watch+transceiver

If you were thinking about an MK2/MK2i/MK2s....wait.

-Swapping transmitter for transceiver
I wonder why. There is definitely a need to communicate the pressure TO the computer, but what need would there be for the computer to communicate information to the (Now) transceiver?

Unless, perhaps it's related to this.
-Text communications between multiple MK3s
-Range of approx. 30m underwater utilizing sonar technology
I guess we'll see if the Text communications require the use of the transceiver.

🤑😍

Attachments

• IMG_1202.png
    IMG_1202.png
    402.9 KB · Views: 37
Checked Garmin website, they published MK3 series.

Interesting software updates for the Mk2i as well:
[In-dive Change] (Mk2i Only) Added a Divers menu to the main menu during dive activities. This page allows you to view other divers’ tank pressures and depths.
(Mk2i Only) Added support for public tank names, with supported Descent T2 software (2.05 or later). The name you assign to a transmitter is now visible to other divers when they pair, to make it easier to pair to the correct devices. When connected to another diver's transmitter, you can instead set a personal nickname for that transmitter. This isn't currently available for Descent T1, so they will continue to show the Device ID (numbers), as will Descent T2 devices with older software.
Added support for device backup and restore. Device backups happen automatically unless disabled, and upload to Connect for storage. You can apply a backup when setting up a new device or after resetting an existing Mk2 or Mk2S. If you purchase a Descent Mk3, you can migrate many of your settings forward from Mk2. For best results, make sure both devices are fully updated first.

And, apparently, still can't test the transmitter to verify it will work during a dive until you actually get in the water....

Pass. Thank you, next.

And, apparently, still can't test the transmitter to verify it will work during a dive until you actually get in the water....

Pass. Thank you, next.
I can check PSI/BAR on watch as soon as my Garmin T1 becomes pressurized, just like my Perdix. I don’t need to be in the water.

I can check PSI/BAR on watch as soon as my Garmin T1 becomes pressurized, just like my Perdix. I don’t need to be in the water.
Not using the same protocol to read that pressure underwater. The transmitter uses ANT above the water and sonar below. So just because you can check the pressure before the dive doesn’t mean it will work underwater.

Back
Top Bottom