Gavin DPV battery replacement? What Ah?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a black tip, The gavin is probably faster and more reliable....
That's because when you pull the trigger on a blacktip you're never sure if its going to randomly quit today lol :shakehead:

80ah 24v batteries cost 850can$
a 42ah SLA is about $125 usd
the same size in LiFePO4 is about $650 usd (I think, I didnt measure precisely) and about 60% more capacity

A Li-ion pack would be far more but you need the weight to sink the tube anyway so a LiFePo4 is realistic

That's because when you pull the trigger on a blacktip you're never sure if its going to randomly quit today lol :shakehead:
Or if its even going to go... Or stop working after 20min...

I always thought the gavins and SS scooters were the same or close enough not to matter, I guess the SS ones fixed a majority of the issues with the gavins, my bad.

If the race is longer than about 20min a SS with lithiums would win over a BT, haha

I always thought the gavins and SS scooters were the same or close enough not to matter, I guess the SS ones fixed a majority of the issues with the gavins, my bad.
The SS were/are the end of the evolutionary line from Tekna --> Mako --> Gavin --> SS
At least for SLA scooters.

The mako fixed the worst of the hull flaws with the Tekna (exploding during charging is bad) although the motors got a little slower.

The gavin fixed the slow mako and leaky hull, but retained the awful handle/trigger design and weak brushboard

The SS fixed the weak brush board and trigger issues.

The prop yoke and pins remain as a weak spot. Along with the shaft seal both of which many modern scooters have remedied.

Shaft seal issues? As far as I can tell, most scooters still use a pac-seal 21, just in various sizes?

Looking forward to a smart dpv and fixed prop on mine. Hopefully it ships soon

Shaft seal issues? As far as I can tell, most scooters still use a pac-seal 21, just in various sizes?
On the Gavins the prop hub is about 3mm recessed from the shroud. If you set it on the tail and there's any kind of hump in the center you can bump that hub and it will leak. The massive weight of course doesn't help that issue. The DiveX Sierra and Cuda use the same shaft seal, but are so much lighter and the motor rotator mounting so improved that you don't have that weakness that the Gavin's have/had by and large. The Suex, Genesis, Seacraft and many others have moved on from that carbon-ceramic seal and engineered out the hub bump leak issues.

My favorite Gavin quirk is when you’d get really deep and the back end would flex and deflect the shroud enough so the prop juuussstt touched it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom