General Sherman Wreck fatality - South Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevziz, thank you for speaking up on this. I hope we can learn what happend so some form of closure can start for all involved. I am sorry that you had to witness this. Thanks for all you did.

so the crew member tried the next one by just opening it, and when it starting expelling pure O2 - someone had the sense to tell him to throw it overboard before it'd explode.

Was the part in bold meant as sarcasm?

Not to say the operator shouldn't have up to date oxygen equipment on board, but what does it have to do with saving this woman's life? She was unresponsive, found floating on the surface, they were obviously doing CPR to her, not treating her for DCS, if she never revived, never started breathing what did the oxygen equipment have to do with anything?

Real blame would be found by asking the usual question "Where was her buddy?"

yes-what happened to her buddy.

my condolances to the family.

I don't think so.

If the valve was broken, and pure oxygen was coming out, there is an immediate explosion/fire hazard, and if the valve couldn't be closed, throwing it overboard may have been the best option.

I'm not saying it was the best option, just proposing a hypothetical scenario in which throwing the bottle overboard would be prudent.

Not to say the operator shouldn't have up to date oxygen equipment on board, but what does it have to do with saving this woman's life? She was unresponsive, found floating on the surface, they were obviously doing CPR to her, not treating her for DCS, if she never revived, never started breathing what did the oxygen equipment have to do with anything?

It is my understanding that CPR is more effective when given in coordination with oxygen. For a dive charter boat today to NOT have working oxygen equipment and a crew trained to use it is nothing short of gross negligence, regardless of whether it would have made a difference or not.

I don't think so either. If for some reason the oxygen could not be controlled or shut off the water was in my opinion the best resort.

Uh, nope - why do you ask...? :confused:

I don't think so.

If the valve was broken, and pure oxygen was coming out, there is an immediate explosion/fire hazard, and if the valve couldn't be closed, throwing it overboard may have been the best option.

I'm not saying it was the best option, just proposing a hypothetical scenario in which throwing the bottle overboard would be prudent.
As I said, if "the crew member tried the next one by just opening it, and when it starting expelling pure O2" and from the described conditions of the rest of the O2 gear - sounded like an explosive risk. It's not the first time I've heard of it being done.

I don't think so either. If for some reason the oxygen could not be controlled or shut off the water was in my opinion the best resort.
:thumb:

But then, from the overall scene as described, there was a lot going on and confusion was certainly possible. It's hard to say what exactly happened.

It is hard to say what happend and what shape the gear was in. The fact that the bottle was tossed may keep that part a mistery even if it is found. The confusion on the boat from what i have read was bad as well as the crew stepping up to control the situation. You can train people to handle things when it goes south all day, but some just cant deal with it when i happens. This was a horrible traggedy and i have been in similar conditions and it took me along time to know i stayed calm and did all i could to save them. DandyDon, thanks for keeping the articles up to date.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom