Getting started with Urchins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NotOnlyButAlsoPete

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Was curious if anyone here has done much urchin diving, either professionally or recreationally. I'm in SoCal and have been curious to learn the ropes.

However, getting a commercial urchin diving permit seems to be neigh impossible. My immediate plan is to just get a sport fishing license, which I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) allows me to collect around 30 a day for personal use and do that for a bit while I figure out if I even like it or can handle it, before getting into a small boat and moving up from there.

I'm a brand new diver, but urchin diving is a big part of my long term diving plan, and a huge reason why I got into diving. I would love hear from anyone who has experience and can point me in the best place to start.

What is so special about urchin diving that excites you this much? Also, why didn't you find out more about it before you actually took your scuba course to know for sure if you can do what you think want to do with urchins?

What is so special about urchin diving that excites you this much? Also, why didn't you find out more about it before you actually took your scuba course to know for sure if you can do what you think want to do with urchins?

I think urchins are a fantastic protein source. They're delicious. If one can get a commercial permit, they can be quite lucrative. They're local. Ecologically, they're not under any huge threat. I'd just as soon dive for abalone, oysters, starfish, or sand dollars, but urchins are what I'm interested in.

Learning to scuba dive has been a lifelong goal that I was only recently able to do, so it's not as if I don't plan to continue to dive if hauling urchins professionally isn't for me.

Also, this message board certainly hasn't been the extent of my research. However, I saw the sub-forum and figured I'd see who was out there. I've spoken to a few professional urchin divers and learned about the permitting issues, but they use hookah systems on boats and are hauling up hundreds of urchins. I'm not there yet.

Don't for get that along with the recreational license to scuba dive for urchins (remember the DFG takes that term recreational very seriously and sets stings to catch poachers selling their "recreational" catch) you have to be aware of the MPA's. These areas come in several flavors from NO TAKE & No USE, to NO TAKE, but you can swim, scuba etc, to TAKE some thing but not others. These areas extend for considerable distance into the ocean. So be aware of the take and no take areas.

I've read a discussion of 'urchin barrens' before, where I believe it was said the population drop in sea otters encouraged sea urchin overpopulation leading to kelp eradication. Is this a current issue, and are the urchin species involved somewhat the original poster would have a use for?

This is the Underwater Hunting section of the forum.

Richard.

OP, which urchin do you intend to collect?

I've read a discussion of 'urchin barrens' before, where I believe it was said the population drop in sea otters encouraged sea urchin overpopulation leading to kelp eradication. Is this a current issue, and are the urchin species involved somewhat the original poster would have a use for?

This is the Underwater Hunting section of the forum.

Richard.

I would be collecting red and/or purple urchins. Strongylocentrotus purpuratus and Mesocentrotus franciscanus. DFG allows for a combination of either species. These indeed are a species that have had ups and downs. I recall hearing of a time when people were encouraged to go out specifically to crush as many of them (purples) as possible because of what they were doing to the kelp. This isn't the case anymore, but my point is that yes, there is a relationship between the kelp and the urchins.

385 Commercial Urchin diving permits are offered up each year. I believe that number has, or will be going down to 300, if not less. Of that, only a few are actively being used. The rest are constantly renewed by people who don't want to give them up. I've every confidence that I'm doing no harm to the species or the environment with my intentions. It's cool to see that so many others have the same concerns. But like you said, this is the Underwater Hunting section.

My short term goal is really just to get down there and grab a few urchins (via sport fishing license) so I can have myself some nice uni for a weekend. I'd love it if anyone has any advice on how to get started. Gear? Bags? Does one usually bring out a surface float if doing this off of the beach? Are there any spots in SoCal where you've seen the urchins brimming?

Back
Top Bottom