Question GH5 8mm fisheye and vignetting - options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kapnoof

New
Reaction score
Looking to get into UW videography and photography for freediving. In particular wide angle or fisheye shot at 5-15m depth cliffscapes and open water shots of large marine life in okay to great visibility.

The idea of a used GH5 seems best so far for 4k 60p. I do like the 8mm Panasonic and Olympus Fisheye lenses but I worry about vignetting. Ikelite Nauticam and Seafrogs produce housings, all able to fit various dome ports.

I can't afford a Nauticam housing, probably not even used if I found one.

On the Ikelite page there's a chart that lists the 8mm FE lenses but only for the Panasonic is there any mention of vignettig with an 8" dome, perhaps a simple oversight and I've asked Ikelite and will see what they say. There's also the compact 8" dome but it only seems to add to the probem if I read the chart right.

Seafrogs is about half the price with a 6" glass dome (there's also an 8" acrylic option) but no mention of any vignetting concerns but I'm guessing there will be if there is with Ikelite.

Perhaps it's just not a good match in terms of budget, lens choice and purpose (pushing a big dome full of air isn't great for freediving either).

So I ask, anyone here got experience of making the 8mm Fisheye lenses work for them on the GH5 or perhaps have other budget friendly-ish suggestions for wide angle or fisheye shots?

A little update. Ikelite got back to me and pointed out that the Olympus 8mm is longer and thus won't vignette with their 8" dome whilst the panasonic will. I guess this also means that the Olympus 8mm FE is a safer option than the Panasonic 8mm FE option in a Seafrogs housing with 8" dome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom