Give me your dry suit wisdom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best money you can spend regarding a drysuit is a P valve. Make that a priority.
Not entirely necessary. I live in DS country, so everyone, from the freshly minted OWD to serious tech folks dive dry. I know exactly one (1) diver who dives wet around here, and I've probably met between 50 and 100 fellow divers. I can count on one hand - with a comfortable margin - the number of pee valve equipped DSs I've seen. If your bottom time is less than about an hour, you should be able to hold it without too much discomfort. Especially if you make it a routine to go just before zipping up. And after an hour or so in 4-6C water, it's not having to take a leak that's your main motivation for getting the heck out and topside.

And on a strictly personal note, glueing a condom to my junk - and afterwards taking the job to peel it off - is not my first idea of having a good time...

I'd guess it depends on the bathroom facilities at your dive sites. Guys have a much easier time than the gals - the nearest convenient tree works.

Guys have a much easier time than the gals
Also when it comes to fixing the plumbing. I have enough issues with the idea of condom catheters, so I really don't envy the gals who do extended tech dives :wink:

the nearest convenient tree works.
It works for the gals too, if they dive with gentlemen. A real gentleman knows when it's time to look in the opposite direction :)

Is it possible to get silicone seals on neck and latex on sleeves, so that the neck feels better without sacrificing durability all around?

The "find a tree is more" than privacy, It is hard not to pee on clothes that are pulled down. On the other side, the she-pee requires waxing. Women technical divers, I am in awe of your toughness.

Also when it comes to fixing the plumbing. I have enough issues with the idea of condom catheters, so I really don't envy the gals who do extended tech dives :wink:

It does for the gals too, if they dive with gentlemen. A real gentleman knows when it's time to look in the opposite direction :)

I'm just talking about the mechanics of it. You guys can just pull suit down a little to do your business. I can't pee standing up, hence, suit sleeves dragging on the gross porta potty floor. I'll take my chances with glue.

Is it possible to get silicone seals on neck and latex on sleeves, so that the neck feels better without sacrificing durability all around?

You can get whatever you like. The scuba police won't shoot you for it!

The "find a tree is more" than privacy, It is hard not to pee on clothes that are pulled down. On the other side, the she-pee requires waxing. Women technical divers, I am in awe of your toughness.

From the She-P FB page (private group to ask questions), a number of women report good results with just a very close clipping. I wouldn't shave. Had to years ago for some surgery and the itching when the hair grew back was unbearable.

The "find a tree is more" than privacy, It is hard not to pee on clothes that are pulled down.
Good point. That's the reason a frontzip was a primary criterion when I got my last DS.

I'm just talking about the mechanics of it. You guys can just pull suit down a little to do your business. I can't pee standing up, hence, suit sleeves dragging on the gross porta potty floor. I'll take my chances with glue.
I'll give you that. Even though I've been married for a couple of decades (and some more), I won't try to claim I know all about the (im)practical consequences of internal plumbing.

That said, my reality doesn't involve porta-potties. It does, though, involve lots of free space and privacy, plus lone trees and bushes to water, so the gals don't have to worry about innocent bystanders getting their panties in a twist over natural body functions :)

Shaving is a mistake that is rarely made twice. Waxing, aside from the outrageous indignity combined with pleasant clinical small talk, is at least over quickly and does not itch. And settles the question for at least six weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom