http://www.diveheart.org/

Go No Farther - Cave Diving Dangers Warning Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a video showing some OW divers coming out of a cave and losing buoyancy control in the cave. (go to 24:00)

Though I did like the "deceptively easy" one better, I thought this one was O.K. It's been picked apart for poor acting, not enough emphasis on cave equipment, other aspects. I didn't find it too long at 15 minutes. Buy hey, I'm retired. 15 minutes is a long time today unless it's non-stop interesting action. And I'm actually someone with a limited attention span--I just can't read through a thread with 101 posts unless it's really of interest to me.

I didn't think it was that good either. "A deceptively easy way to die" was much better. Not only does it tell you what can happen but what kind of techniques are needed when you get proper training to dive caves. Should be required viewing in all OW classes.

The problem with that one is that it is now 20 years old and looks and feels like it. Although the content is probably better, it now looks extremely dated and is crying out for a remake in HD with modern graphics, sound etc.

What we need is a simple PSA that is five minutes max, what we got is an overly dramatic scene out of "Ghost Hunters".

It's making me sad that somebody made a genuine effort to do a good and needed thing for the benefit to others, only now to be subjected to snarky bashing. Certainly, there are ways it could be improved, but I give them a lot of credit for the effort. I found it powerful to hear a woman speak of leaving for a happy vacation and coming back with half her family gone. I found it powerful to see the comparison between the prepared divers and the unprepared divers. I think a shorter version would be more effective, but I hope if they do one, they keep the best elements of this one.

To those of you who created it, thanks for caring.

It's making me sad that somebody made a genuine effort to do a good and needed thing for the benefit to others, only now to be subjected to snarky bashing
Is good will the only thing that really matters? I don't think so. The issues raised in this thread probably weren't meant as snarky bashing. If you want to get your message across to the public, a genuine effort isn't enough. The form has to be good, and although the video raises an important topic that can hardly be stressed too often, it'll probably fail to reach a significant part of the intended audience on account of being too long and, frankly, with less than professional acting. And that it'll probably miss an important audience is what's really sad.

I recall another video, slightly on the same subject (though it's more of a "trust me it'll be fine" than "let's be stupid in a cave" thing), about a diver following a guide deep into cave zone and stumbling upon a skeleton. The only thing the skeleton says is "i'm you, of course!". If anyone knows this video, please drop the link here. I'd say it shows a different view than what we have here, and I recall it being pretty short, strong and to the point, hence I'd like to see it again here as I believe it could be some reference for future work.

If this was my daughter's first attempt at a movie, I might accept mediocrity as a standard. Feedback, even mildly caustic feedback is a bonus. No one gets better at their craft if people turn a blind eye to glaring deficiencies. If he was after warm fuzzies, then he should have gotten a dog. This is not only about diving, it's about CAVE diving, where we demand perfection as our standard. This is far, far from cave quality.

Frankly, I don't see the acting as a significant problem. It's mostly a victim of poor editing. After all, the actors are only as good as their script and their director's ability to convey his desires to them. I would love to get an impartial 'outsider's' view on this in regards to length, editing, content, drama and acting.

When I became an instructor, many, many moons ago, there was a formula impressed upon us in order to impart wisdom or a skill. A PSA should follow along much of the same lines...
  • Start with an attention getter. Putting the Death graphic at the front of the piece would have been a great one, but instead we got Aunt Bea.
  • Give a brief overview including the reason WHY you should pay attention. "Every year, Open water divers, including instructors needlessly loose their lives in caves..."
  • Discuss the importance of continual training. "What you don't know can kill you..."
  • Give the class.
  • Give a brief afterview.
  • End with a zinger. (The kid with the ambulance driver was kinda formulaic, but effective).
I thought the counterpoint between the trained cavers and the OW divers was kind of nice, but it was probably too technical for most non cavers to appreciate the subtlety as well as a bit long. Again, the death graphic was cool. Why not animate him just a bit more and let him be the narrator? That would up the cool factor considerably and keep non cavers, and even non divers glued to the film longer.

It's making me sad that somebody made a genuine effort to do a good and needed thing for the benefit to others, only now to be subjected to snarky bashing.

I very much appreciate when people volunteer there time, money and effort to contribute something to the community.
Complain about the acting? Really? Storker and Patoux, how about you donate some money so they can hire actors next time around.
I too think, a remake of the old video would be nice just because it looks like the footage was taken from a VCR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Putting the Death graphic at the front of the piece would have been a great one, but instead we got Aunt Bea.
Although I generally agree with your post, I disagree quite a bit here. Aunt Bea gives a personal touch, her experiences is something we can relate to, and we bond.

IM(NSH)O, starting the video with the Grim Reaper could be just as effective as the "smoking kills" labels on cigarette packages. i.e. not at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom