Going To Malapascua in a couple of days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LucaM

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey All!

I am super excited to have settle for my 2 weeks diving vacation in Malapascua. I will be doing my Rescue Diver certificate there + a lot of dives!

I have read a bit around and am aware that there are no ATM on the island, so am planning to bring some cash (both in Euro and local PHP to withdraw there).

I have read here though that there is a limitation apparently on ATMs also at the airport in Cebu for withdraws... but the post was of about a year ago. Is there still this limitations? Do you recommend to bring more Euro and exchange it at some exchange shop?

I was planning to withdraw around 20KPHP there + have a couple of hundreds euros with me for 12 days. Hotel + Course is paid. I will need to pay for fun dives (but I will organize via credit card or paypal as the diving shop is OK with it) and food (most likely this is the part where I will use cash.

Any last minute advice would be greatly appreciated.

Take the cash with you. check with your hotel/dive shop if they have a card machine. I recall paying by card at evolution, but it may be a false memory.

Ask them ahead if there is additional charge for using plastic, 5 - 7% extra is normal!
If you are entering the country through Manila first then exchange the money at the airport. The rate at Cebu airport is rotten. There is always a limit on cash withdrawal in ATM.
Greenback is preferred over Euro.

There is only one money exchange on Malapascua so no competition for rates.

ATMS are limited to 20k a day in Cebu and can be less in the provinces. There are none on Malapascua or nearby.

There is an exchange I believe in the Savemore supermarket in Mactan Marine Mall near the airport.

Take the cash with you. check with your hotel/dive shop if they have a card machine. I recall paying by card at evolution, but it may be a false memory.

I paid part of my balance with a card at Evolution, but forget if there was the 3% credit card fee or not. I paid for the initial amount (lodgings + courses) via bank transfer. All later expenses were via credit card.

A few of the better restaurants also take credit card, some even without the 3% fee. Definitely Angelina's, I forget the rest.

I stayed with Evolution this summer and my recommendation would be to charge the drinks and meals you have there to your room and then pay all hotel, dives and food by credit card when you check out. I prepaid most of my dives and hotel via PayPal to avoid any shortages at the the last minute and it worked great. I think the only thing I had to pay cash was the car transfer as they outsource that to the local guys on the mainland.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom