Good books and where to find them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as it uses Adobe Editions, it's equally easy to remove the DRM. I had done it in the past for a textbook and just needed a refresher on how.

Good to know for the future. But, now that I have the rebreather book, I'm kind of glad I got the physical book. It's thick, dense with info, and has lots of pictures and figures. I haven't always had the best of luck with e-books that really depend on graphics. It seems like a LOT of the time the graphics look fine at normal resolution, but they are too small to read the details. And when you zoom in, it turns out the e-book version is so low rez you still can't read it. I don't know if the rebreather e-book is like that or not, but it seems like it's always a risk when buying an e-book.

I have at least two of those books on my amazon to buy list. Thanks for other recommendations!

• Staying Alive:: Applying Risk Management to Advanced Scuba Diving by Mr Steve Lewis
  • Deco for Divers: A Diver's Guide to Decompression Theory and Physiology by Mark Powell

Stuartv
You are correct on the e books- I have read a few of them but prefer the fell of a good solid book with pages that you can feel and turn and bend and mark up.

However the future appears to be e books...If is isn't on the internet and published as an e book it didn't happen apparently is the current

I have know Jeff Bozanic since he was a teenager- FYI one of the nicest most intelligent individuals I have ever met.

He and my son Sam IV were diving buddies in the experimental days of rebreathers and mixed gases while Jeff was pursuing a doctorate and my son was in med school. They often made dives to 300 -400 off the California coast -- I always told Sam IV "Don't call me when you are going on a dive--- Call me after you surface" (which they did every time)

Your post brings back many memories of bygone days...

SDM

I'm just posting this here to possibly help future people like me.

I wanted to acquire 2 different books that I learned about here on SB. Of course I went straight to Amazon and found them both only available Used, in the Marketplace for well over $100 each. I (wrongly) took that to mean that they were out of print and I was out of luck (since I was not willing to pay that much for either book).

I have now found that both books are in print and available directly from their respective publishers. Here are the links:

Mastering Rebreathers, by Jeffrey Bozanic
Mastering Rebreathers, 2nd Edition

SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR, by Vance Harlow
SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow

And, here are some other scuba books that aren't necessarily so hard to find, but that I have personally read and thought to be good books. Maybe this can become a growing list and a sticky.

The NOAA Diving Manual, 5th Ed.
NOAA Diving Manual, 5th Edition Softcover Textbook

Deco for Divers, by Mark Powell
Deco for Divers: A Diver's Guide to Decompression Theory and Physiology: Mark Powell: 9781905492299: Amazon.com: Books

The Six Skills and Other Discussions: Creative Solutions for Technical Divers, by Steve Lewis (aka @Doppler)
The Six Skills and Other Discussions: Creative Solutions for Technical Divers: Mr Steve Lewis: 9780981228020: Amazon.com: Books

Staying Alive: Risk Management Techniques for Advanced Scuba Diving, also by Steve Lewis
Staying Alive: Applying Risk Management to Advanced Scuba Diving: Mr Steve Lewis: 9780981228044: Amazon.com: Books

Diver Down: Real-World SCUBA Accidents and How to Avoid Them, by Michael R. Ange
Diver Down: Real-World SCUBA Accidents and How to Avoid Them (International Marine-RMP): Michael R. Ange Captain: 9780071445726: Amazon.com: Books

Deep Into Deco: The Diver's Decompression Textbook, by Asser Salama
https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Into-Deco-Decompression-Textbook/dp/1930536798/
(My opinion: Deco for Divers was easier to understand and Deep Into Deco contains very little additional info beyond what is in Deco for Divers. If you want more theory, then you might go straight from Deco for Divers to one of Bruce Wienke's books. I have Basic Decompression Theory and Application and it is DENSE.)

SCUBA: A Practical Guide for the New Diver, by James A LaPenta (aka @Jim Lapenta)
SCUBA: A Practical Guide for the New Diver: James A Lapenta: 9781494900250: Amazon.com: Books

The Underwater Photographer, by Martin Edge
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IC84JLI/
This is very interesting. Thank you for sharing. As a (VERY) new certified diver, I'm looking to immerse myself into as much theory and knowledge as I can on scuba diving - ideally books intended for beginners and those just starting out. I realize that nothing beats actually diving and gaining experience through trial and error but living in the Midwest, and on a budget, that's not always possible. I'd be curious to see if you had any literature recommendations regarding what I'm looking for. I saw that the last link you posted was a practical guide for beginners. Anything else in particular you'd like to share/recommend?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom