Good Conditions at Marineland today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Despite the large swells we've had lately, the conditions at Marineland were very nice today. There was some current at Pt. Vicente, where we planned to dive so we headed for the Marineland Platform. Visibility was better than fifteen feet. Schools of fish hovered over the platform as we descended, and the platform itself has settled into the bottom, no longer sitting at an uphill angle. Bryozoans and corynactis anemones have made a big comeback since the platform was dragged by a squid net for the last time. It rests in the Abalone Cove State Marine Conservation Area, so hopefully there will be no more commercial boats fishing on it.
Nudibranchs are still a bit scarce. There were a few species scattered about the platform. I concentrated on the anemones and windmill worms today.

OML8.jpg

OML10.jpg

OML11.jpg

OML17.jpg

OML15.jpg

OML1.jpg

OML2.jpg

OML3.jpg

OML4.jpg

OML5.jpg

OML6.jpg

OML7.jpg

OML12.jpg

OML13.jpg

OML14.jpg

Those windmill worms are fascinating! I've never seen anything like that.

Beautiful photos. Are any of the anemones backlit? They appear to be glowing.

Corynactis californica contains fluorescent proteins that allow their colors to be seen at depth. You can still see red and orange in the clubbed tip anemones far below the depth that these colors disappear. My strobes accentuated the colors.

After seeing your pictures, we had make the dive sunday to the platform. Long swim from shore and the current was running west, but we made it the buoy. Dropped down to 70' and it did not disappoint. So glad I brought my good light. Scallops and large sheepcrabs and love those strawbery anemones.
Thanks for the pictures, very nice.

Back
Top Bottom