Good regulators that are cheap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to a few local dive shops this afternoon and the best deal I could find was an Aqua Lung Titan XLC and an XLC occy from $740 AUD (Australian Dollars) and that was after I bargained $150 AUD off the price.

What do you guys think? It got some good online reviews, but did I get it for a good price?

It's a great reg. I can't advise you about the price though. You're probably in a better positoin to judge the price than anyone here.

You'll need more than just the reg though. Don't forget the spg and an inflator hose or at least account for the extra costs.

Another hidden cost is service. Ask the shop for 3 years of service under warranty. I know some shops will do that.

Have you looked at 2nd hand regs? There may be some good deals to be had 2nd hand. You'll need to account for getting it serviced before you use it and you'll need to get someone to help you look who knows what 2nd hand stuff is worth and can judge if it's in good condition or not but buying a reg 2nd hand isn't a bad way to get into the game.

R..

Here's 3 regs that all have excellent performance and reliability.
They have diaphragm 1st's and balanced 2nd's.
Apeks XTX20/US4
Zeagle Envoy
AquaLung LX

damn the dude gave me a good deal on an apeks xtx20 and matching occy! $600 AUD! i couldnt find any online reviews so i didnt buy it :(

Where have you been looking at the reviews? A search for xtx20 here on SB turns up some decent reviews. Don't limit your reviews to just the site your buying things from.

PLEASE BE AWARE that Leisure Pro is NOT an authorized Aqua Lung dealer. The fine print is available directly from Aqua Lung. Some things I will purchase from Leisure Pro, but for anything that I want to ensure I have a warranty (and recall information) on, I go to an authorized dealer for that product.

Look for the best deal you can find, but know what you are getting for that price.

Nonetheless it had the warranty card in the box and you know, I always throw those things away, never have used a warranty yet on a regulator, for 50% off retail, I can live without. Nobdoy knows where it came from when you take it in for service assuming you are one of those that does not service it yourself. People move, regulators come and go, I don't paint onmy forehead when I walk into the local steal you blind lds and proclaim my equipment is from LeisurePro, of course, if they ask I will gladly explain to them why my 174 dollars Titan LX is as good as their 500 dollars version.

N

I went to a few local dive shops this afternoon and the best deal I could find was an Aqua Lung Titan XLC and an XLC occy from $740 AUD (Australian Dollars) and that was after I bargained $150 AUD off the price.

What do you guys think? It got some good online reviews, but did I get it for a good price?
Did you buy the reg? The price seems extraordinarily high compared to what we pay in the US, even if it includes a console. Try eBay or a US retailer.

My view of what defines a "good regulator" has changed over the years... a while back I got my DM cert and started working with an LDS (specifically with their repair guy...)... I had a opportunity to see the guts of a number of different regs and listen to him give his impressions on what made a good reg and what didn't...

Personal Choices: Now... I dive Aqua-Lung Legends... great regs... love em'... have a Sherwood Blizzard on order for my ice diving pony... also just had the Legend first stage "retrofit" by the LDS to make it an Aqual Lung "Glacia"... I've also dove a variety of other manuf. ... They all pretty much 'work'... and I really haven't found a regulator that... from a a pure functionality point of view I WOULDN'T dive with...

Decision Points So... where are *my* decision points? First I've discovered the joy of "simpiler is better"... have your Aqua-Lung reg overhauled and look at the pile of parts you get back (if you get your parts back)... now... have a Sherwood overhauled and compare the pile size... (Fewer gadgets in the Sherwood... )... As our tech points out (... and I tend to agree)... simpler has its merits. (He really doesn't like regs with 'swivels'... :no:) "The more parts and gadgets you have the more things can break"... quote from da' repair guy...

... and, as Papa Steve pointed out... being able to have your regs serviced is, in my opinion... one of those critical decision points...

Recommendations Whatever reg you're looking at... talk to a repair tech and find out how much an overhaul kit costs... a lot (most???) reg manuf. give free parts... assuming you have sent in the warrantee card... don't miss an annual servicing... etc... Great program... but if you DO miss... (happened to me...)... how much are you going to pay for parts when you do haul your rig in???

There's a lot more to *cost* than the initial purchase price...

Do you see doing any COLD water... or Ice Diving in your future? Spending enough to get something designed for this kind of diving now can save you having to have your gear retrofit... or buying new gear in the future (... all part of the cost picture)...

Now... I won't get into "buy LDS" or "buy on-line"... that's a decision each must make for themselves...

Final Perspective Always remember... no matter WHAT you buy... they'll make something better, niftier, shinier and probably on sale with in 30 days (or there about) after you buy whatever it is you end up buying... and you'd better like whatever you buy because you and you're reg are going to develop a very close and personal relationship...

Back
Top Bottom