Gopro 10, why 30 or 60 fps for underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey, sorry to warm this up but i am still not entirely clear on 4k30 vs 4k60 for low-light diving

so i am going to Galapagos soon (August) and i suppose visibility will be pretty limited (due to plankton / lack of light).
I expect conditions to be similar to Cocos where i went August 22. At the time i was recording 4k60 with a Gopro 7 and to be honest there was quite a lot of noise/grain in the footage and i wasn't entirely happy with it.

So now for Galapagos i got a Gopro hero 10 and i am wondering should i shoot in 4k30 or 4k60 for best image quality? I do not care so much for slow-mo shots, so image quality would be paramount.

any suggestions would be most appreciated. thanks.

P.S.: @Dan loving your videos, really great stuff :)

Reactions: Dan
hey, sorry to warm this up but i am still not entirely clear on 4k30 vs 4k60 for low-light diving

so i am going to Galapagos soon (August) and i suppose visibility will be pretty limited (due to plankton / lack of light).
I expect conditions to be similar to Cocos where i went August 22. At the time i was recording 4k60 with a Gopro 7 and to be honest there was quite a lot of noise/grain in the footage and i wasn't entirely happy with it.

So now for Galapagos i got a Gopro hero 10 and i am wondering should i shoot in 4k30 or 4k60 for best image quality? I do not care so much for slow-mo shots, so image quality would be paramount.

any suggestions would be most appreciated. thanks.

P.S.: @Dan loving your videos, really great stuff :)

Thanks!

I shot my Sep 2022 Cocos in 4k60 and Oct 2022 Galapagos in 4k30. I can see improvement in the Galapagos one. Both videos were edited down to HD.

I had back to back Galapagos trip in October 2022. So I did comparison of the same trip the first one, 17-24 Oct 2022 with 4k60, as shown, below. Some scenes look grainy, like the trip to Cocos. For the second week, 24-31 Oct 2022 with 4k30, as shown above, which look better (to my eyes anyway in big screen). So, from then on I use 4k30.

I like the better video quality of 4k30 than that of 4k60. However there are other factors influencing how people like to watch the videos. For example, my 4k60 video, 17-24 Oct 2022 Galapagos, got 8.2K views vs 1.2K views of my 4k30 video, 24-31 Oct 2022 Galapagos, which I think it's better quality.

thanks for your reply.

to add to this, i found this Aussie's helpful video (he does recommend 60fps but he's also recording in crystal clear Australian waters)

the idea here being to record without any gopro image enhancements (sharpening, color) and then doing the image correction completely in post

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom