GoPro HD underwater blur fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone heard of an actual manufactures fix on the way? I noticed most of the videos on their site shy away from underwater shots. Also has anyone experienced overheating with the unit inside the case? I took mine out after about 30 min of being on and it was roasting. Thanks!

Jon,

I got my flat lens fix and made a few dives on Monday. I managed to upload part of one dive, but I'm terrible at editing. It's longish at 12 minutes, but here if you want to see it.

Mark

Last edited:
Jon,

I got my flat lens fix and made a few dives on Monday. I managed to upload part of one dive, but I'm terrible at editing. It's longish at 12 minutes, but here if you want to see it.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for posting. I should be getting out this afternoon to try mine. Hopefully the conditions will be favorable, it has been a bit overcast here lately. I don't even know if I'll be able to upload any of my stuff while I'm here. The internet connection here is about the same as dial-up. I'll try to see if I can get your video to load tonight or this weekend some time.

I am an OK editor. It is a part of my job I am still learning, but I am hoping to get some decent footage to work with and improve my skills. I've got a handfull of Final Cut books in the slow mail as we speak.

Overall, were you happy with the fix? Did you shoot Full 1080 or go with one of the other resolutions? I know the 1080 is supposed to be no change, how was the vignetting if you shot a different resolution?

Hey Jon,

Really happy with the fix, although the case/lens are on the pricey side. All the video is shot in R5 mode in 1080. I had to convert it to .AVI, edited it, then convert back to .MP4 for uploading and youtube. I did this way because all the software is freeware. Here's another video from the same day:

Nice stuff Shark. I spent three years in SoCal and never made it in the water there. Now I wish I had.
Here's my first dive with my GoPro:

Nice!

Got out with the GoPro again. I ditched the head mount and just ran a wrist lanyard through the attachment point on the bottom of the housing.

Got clips of a nice pair of French Angelfish, a big Gray Angelfish, a spotted moray, a spotted trunkfish and two Loggerhead Sea Turtles. Also got a shot of me putting out a Lionfish and playing tag with one of the turtles.

We were out until just about dark and even the last clips looked OK, just a bit of noise starting to show.

I'll try to see if I can get another clip up tomorrow. That first 20 second clip took 35 Min to upload and that was only at 40% quality.

How do I get the little embedded YouTube player to show right in the post?

Jon

Hi all,
I'm interested in the gopro and was hoping those who have used it could share your experience on these specific questions:
-Is it comfortable above the dive mask, and secure over your hood?
-Since you don't have a viewfinder, it looks like it is hard to shoot steady video, and frame the subject matter very well?
-has gopro issued the fix or do you still have to go with the aftermarket?
-has anyone taken it down to 180 ft? any leak issues? I would want to take it down to this depth.
-there is a post that it gets very hot inside the housing. Anyone have any issues?
Overall, it is hands free which is an advantage, but does that mean you have to accept a jiggly abrupt recording of the subject matter with every single head movement?
thanks in advance for your insight.

I'm thinking the head mount isn't the best spot for any camera when SCUBA diving. All those darn bubbles would get in the way!

-Is it comfortable above the dive mask, and secure over your hood?

Certainly comfortable, but practical? Not for me. I would give myself about a 90% chance of losing the camera if I had left it over my hood (the headstrap loosens easily). So I put the headstrap on and put my hood over the headstrap assembly. Now I had about a 0% chance of losing it. Kinda gets tight at the mask-headstrap-hood junction but didn't bother me a bit once in place.

-Since you don't have a viewfinder, it looks like it is hard to shoot steady video, and frame the subject matter very well?

Definitely a consideration. I'd say get your dive buddy to adjust the angle to where the camera is pointing slightly downward to meet your eyeline about 5'-10' out in front of you. When I reviewed my footage I realized that my camera was pointed directly parallel w. my eyeline. I messed up the footage pretty good because of this; lesson learned.

-has gopro issued the fix or do you still have to go with the aftermarket?

As of about 2 weeks ago you still need to go aftermarket.

-there is a post that it gets very hot inside the housing. Anyone have any issues?

Didn't notice this problem. Camera gets slightly warm, but "hot" - for me- is an exaggeration. Furthermore, I dove in 63 degree water and didn't have any fogging issues. GoPro sells some kind of anti-fogging inserts that I was thinking of buying, but maybe I don't need them. Also, there's a pretty good unofficial GoPro forum out there on the Internetz that has some tips. One of those tips is to use RainX on the outside of the lens (not sure this is necessarily helpful for diving) and defog on the inside. I'd google "GoPro Forum" and you can research for yourself.

Overall, it is hands free which is an advantage, but does that mean you have to accept a jiggly abrupt recording of the subject matter with every single head movement?

Probably my biggest lesson learned. I really wonder if I'll use the headband again. You have to ask yourself the question "Am I out here to dive or am I out here to shoot video?" Because having a camera attached to your forehead is not a natural thing and it shows up in the footage. I literally had to stretch out my edited clips in slow motion since there was so little "steady" footage available I had to make it last as long as possible. Mind you, if I had to go out there and do it over it would be very easy to get steady footage, but it impinges on your ability to enjoy the moment while diving- at least for me it would. Since masks cut down on peripheral vision I'm always looking every which way.

EyeOfMine also sells a kind of extendable aluminum rod that I bought but haven't tried. I think that this might be a good solution to allow me to point the camera at a subject and allow me to swivel my head. The wrist harness sounds pretty do-able as well. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom