GoPro Hero2 in the British Virgin Islands (Dive Housing)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

precipice

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had a chance to bring the GoPro Hero2 to the British Virgin Islands for some sailing and diving. The picture quality has been awesome with the new Dive Housing - no focus problems at all with it! Here's the video, cut with some footage from Nikon D800.

British Virgin Islands in HD - GoPro Hero2, Nikon D800
British Virgin Islands HD "Voyage" BVI - Nikon D800, GoPro Hero2 - YouTube
[video=youtube;L2HXlcgfwKc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2HXlcgfwKc[/video]

In some of the shots, I also attached the Backscatter Red Flip Magic Filter to color correct for loss of red. I tried it while snorkeling in shallower waters and found it ruined the scenes by making everything red, so because of that I was reluctant to use it later on. But in reviewing the footage, I found that the red filter REALLY helps once you get to 10 feet of depth or more. I did a shipwreck dive there to about 20ft and you can see how some of the colors turn out in the video. Some scenes are very blue, but in the last shot (where the camera rotates around me), you'll see it maintains the colors really well! I only wish I used that filter more now. The color balance/exposure on the GoPro changes gradually enough as well so that suit my tastes.

My only gripe was stabilizing the GoPro underwater for smoother glides. Any ideas on this? I had some ideas about adding more weight to the rig, but I thought I'd check witih Scubaboard. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom