GoPro Hero5 rig and lights, dive lights good for video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picked up a used Olympus OM-D E-M10 for $400 (but that also included a telephoto lens for topside use) and a Meikon housing for it (new) for $250.

If I were going for all new, I would get a new Sony RX100 Mk II. The current model is the Mk IV and I've seen the Mk II still available new for around $500. But, I should note that the Mk II does 1080p video, but not 4K, like the Mk IV.

And a Meikon housing for the Mk II, also for $250.

I shot these with it last week, diving with @CAPTAIN SINBAD. But, I was using 1 Inon Z240 strobe.

stuarts%20stuff_-4.jpg

stuarts%20stuff_-2.jpg

stuarts%20stuff_.jpg

P9240327.jpg

P9240296.jpg

P9240307.jpg

Those are amazing shots!!!

Thanks! My favorite is actually the toilet photo. And that one is completely 100% unedited in any way. It's the JPEG that came out of my camera.

I think I still have tons of room for improvement on photos like these. But, for my first weekend actually in the ocean with my new camera rig, I'm pretty satisfied. I have a 2nd strobe. I just chose not to use it for those dives. I need to get a Wide Angle wet lens and I think I will have everything to get some great photos - except the skillz... :D

Last edited:
Here's a slightly cheaper alternative tray I'm considering to make the most of my GoPro. Currently it's on a stubby float stick. I have a DGX MAX video light and a few of these backup lights, but no way to mount either.
upload_2016-11-17_9-35-40.png

2000LM Underwater CREE XM-L T6 LED Diving Flashlight Torch Light 50M Waterproof | eBay

I was thinking to get this tray ($67+$20 shipping):
upload_2016-11-17_9-34-16.png

Underwater Tray Flex Arm with Lights Adapter for Action Cam For Gopro ST20108 | eBay
There's barely enough links on each arm, maybe I could lengthen them by scavanging links from the Loc-Line arm that came with my GoPro.

I would then stick the DGX MAX video light on one side, and either the XTAR D26 primary or the 3xLED 26650 light posted above:
upload_2016-11-17_9-41-21.png

5000 Lumen Ultrabright XM-L T6 8-Mode LED Diving Flashlight Torch Lamp Neu N8V5 | eBay

I would primarily use this for video and maybe a few in-the-blind photos (the Hero 3+ doesn't have an LCD display to preview or compose photos). This setup would be for close to medium distance shots in 15-30ft vis at 100ft depths.

For tropical diving I might use this, or maybe just use the stubby or selfie stick since the water is much clearer.

Just posting my thoughts.

(stuartv: Good tip on securing the loc lines with string inside!)

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-17_9-30-53.png
    upload_2016-11-17_9-30-53.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 70
I do not have any experience with the Hero 5 but I have been using a Hero 3+ for the last year and a half. My setup employs a very cheap Foxpic tray with 16" Intova arms that I picked up on Amazon. The arms are quite stiff, so they hold their position quite well. However, they are creaky and noisy to reposition.

https://www.amazon.com/Foxpic-Mount...F8&qid=1479495489&sr=8-4&keywords=foxpic+tray

I have a pair of DGX MAX video lights as well as a pair of Gobe 700 wide lights. Both lighting sets adequately cover the GoPro's field of view in 1080P wide. However, they only illuminate subjects up to 3-4 feet away in gin clear Caribbean waters. As such, I rely on the Backscatter Flip 4 filter kit to color correct anything beyond this range.

Backscatter :: Underwater video :: compact video :: parts & accessories :: filters

Feel free to check out the results on my YouTube Channel here:

I use a Sola 1200 as my video light on my cameras. I've used it on the G16 as video/focus and also on my go-pro clone as video light.

I use the loc-line arms for this. It's perfectly good and a bit more flexible. Just be sure to tether the light to the tray in some fashion in case the loc-line pops. It's happened to me once getting back on a boat in rough seas - no time to pass the camera, just smushed into the ladder. The loc-line popped in two, but the tether kept the light from sinking away.

I'm using my GoPro 4 with locline arms and 2 archon d11vs. I am upgrading before my next trip tho. But for a cheap rig it's done very well. Check out my video in the signature, it was all shot with the set up and without any filters.

Back
Top Bottom