Got a free pair of double 50's today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a question about your bands guage...and for that matter the Highland bands too.....why so thick and wide? Were there failures on the production bands by dive manufactures?.......

Excellent question.

Wide makes the bands seat easily and squarely to take the strain off of the manifold without any fussing. I also like to crank down on accurately sized bands so that they do what they are supposed to do: save the manifold. Stainless steel galls so lubricate the bolts with a bit of heavy grease before getting carried away.

Thick adds weight. I like bands and hardware around 5-7 pounds. Comes out to 14 or 16 gage depending on gusset. 5 to 7 pounds for my rig will require a W/B with just enough weight to make a proper worst case ascent upon ditching it. Just enough on the weight belt (for me) is 8-10 pounds, no more.

If you could tell me what the original hydro on those tanks are, I can check my catalog collection for you. I am pretty sure you have a set of 52's. I don't think they made them for very long, they were a bit bouyant for steel tanks. The smaller 1800 psi cu/ft tanks were 38's, the 42's were 1880 psi. The 38's and 42 were pretty much the same size but the bottoms of the 42 tanks were a little less rounded than the older 38's.

20 yrs ago I walked in a dive shop and saw a set of Sportsways gal. Twin 42's tucked away in a corner. $75.00 later I was looking inside and then and they were in great shape. I mixed up some paint that I thought was close to my favorite Sportsways orange era, when my son come home on his bicycle. He said "Hey Dad, I just saw tanks just like those at the pawn shop in town. $50.00 later I had my second set, of factory orange twin 42's.

I eventually sold both sets; then about 2 yrs ago I was towing a trailer running off to buy another motorcycle project, when I stopped at a dive shop to take a break. I asked him if they had any old stuff. Without saying a word he came back with a set of galv. Sportsways twin 42 with bac pac of course. Set them in front of me, along with an old ripped inflateable vest and said "Here you go, their yours". Guess I was meant to have a set of these, plan on hanging on to them this time.

The original hydro dates were 1967.

I've put these tanks on the back burner for now, as I suspect they were repainted at some time with lead paint. There is definitely aftermarket paint on them and it's heavier, flakier and harder than most paints that I encounter. I haven't had it tested, but considering the era, it seems very likely to me that that's what it is.

I haven't quite decided on how to proceed yet.

lead is good, great stuff, collects in the walls of your arteries, veins etc.........once seated in the walls, it grabs hold of the cholestroil gobules as they go by breaks off pieces and builds up plaque...someday too soon you have a stroke or heart attack.....wonderful stuff.....

Melt that paint off as soon as you can and dispose it safely and quickly.........

Last edited:
Checked my catalogs, but could not find my 1967 catalog. The 1965 and 1968 catalogs show 52.8 cu/ft tanks. Catalog states they weight 20% less than a 72, and are slightly longer than a 42.

Neither catalog shows galvanized finish as an option for those tanks. I believe each tank will be about 1.4 lbs positive when empty.

Tom

The tanks are kind of a gray metallic color, but I don't think there was ever any galvanizing on them. I think you're right about them being 53's. Just imagine an LP72 that's 2" shorter and you'll have an excellent idea of these tanks dimensions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom