Grand Cayman Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

perry64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My (non-diving) wife and I are going to GC for a week in July, and I plan on diving 2-3 days while we’re there. I’ve been reading the board about GC and gathered quite a bit about the island and diving from everyone’s posts – thanks to everyone whose advise I read!! I’d to put out my conclusions to see if they are correct. I’d appreciate people pointing out any errors I’ve made, as well as any additional info/advice people can give me.
  1. We’re staying east of Rum Point – we like to be as far from the beaten path as possible. It appears diving the East End is probably the best idea, given the time/distance/traffic to get to any of the dive operators on the West End – is that a fair assumption?
  2. I’ve seen people mention dive trips from Rum Point, but the only options I’ve seen are Tortuga’s running a dive from there on Wednesdays. (We are coming/going on Wednesday, so that’s not an option for me.) Are there options that I missed?
  3. There appear to be two main options for diving on the East End – Tortuga’s and Ocean Frontiers. (I saw something about a Dive Lodge, but nothing in the the last 5-6 years, so I’m guessing they closed.) Both seem to get good reviews, but OF seems to be the better option for experienced divers. Are there any other operators in the East End? Any good reasons to choose one over the other except the diver experience level?
  4. Do I need to make reservations in advance, or will showing up a day or two ahead to book dives work like many other places?
  5. We like to avoid the crowds, and a couple of the days we’re there will have 10,000 – 11,000 cruise ship passengers arriving. If we head east, will we avoid most of them? Any recommendations on what to do/not do on heavy cruiser days?
  6. Some people have recommended Andy's Rent-a-Car, but their prices seem slightly higher than what's available through a travel site - is there any big advantage of using them as opposed to another? Any to avoid at all costs?
Again, I’d really appreciate any advice or recommendations you can provide.

Thanks.
Perry

1) By all means dive east end. IMO, the best diving on GC.
2) don't know
3) I'd go with ocean frontiers. They run a great operation.
4) Book in advance. If they are full, you will be disappointed.
5) Stay away from Georgetown, Turtle Farm and Camana Bay when there is a ship in.
6) I always rent from whoever gives me the best rate. I've used Andys and they are no better or worse than the others.

Have fun

Hi Perry,

East end is as far off the beaten path as you can get in GC. Ocean Frontiers is the only op I'd use in the East End. Great crew.

East End diving is good, but I would say the only advantage east end has over the west end is the sharks. One issue with east end diving is it's more affected by weather. Advantage of west end diving, is there is always a side of the island you can dive without getting hammered.

As with any dive op, make reservations as soon as you know your schedule. Things fill up sometimes, and you don't want to be caught short.

In regards to the cruise ship passengers, they mostly walk around Georgetown buying trinkets and getting drunk, but they will bus out large groups to rum point. My GF and I like to head out to Rum Point for a quiet day off, and occasionally get mobbed by huge groups of cruise shippers, which in and of itself can be amusing. Avoid stingray city (snorkel site) at all costs on heavy port days. My advice would simply be to go diving.

Everyone recommends Andy's. Not sure why, as they are often more expensive. If you go with one of the other economy rental places, you will get the hard sell on the insurance, they will tell you your vehicle insurance won't work in Grand Cayman. Some insurances don't cover Cayman. Be sure to check your carrier and if you are covered in Cayman specifically.

You're right about Dive Lodge but that's been more like a decade? now. I think it was taken out in the 04 hurricane.

There's also a watersports operator at the Reef Resort - Scuba Diving - White Sand Water Sports I know nothing about them but the name.

My buddy dove with Ocean Frontiers the last couple of years also and likes them.

If you need to go west on a heavy cruise day once you clear Bodden Town on Shamrock Rd look for Linford Pearson which becomes North Sound, then Esterly Tibbetts all the way to the North Sound Marinas/Stingray City or just before it ends - go left on West Bay Rd. for shore diving Turtle Reef/Lighthouse Pt. if you plan to do that. It keeps you out of Georgetown andthe touristy part of Seven Mile Beach to the south where I understand there can be traffic jams now.

If you'd like to see Georgetown/have dinner the cruisers all typically sail b4 sunset and since it's currently a tender port they vacate around 4PM. One gotcha is they look the wrong way before darting across the street (you'd think all the parked cars would be a clue) so watch for that.

I don't know what the progress has been made on the dredging/cruise dock construction but that's right downtown also so another reason to likely avoid the area if possible. I enjoyed downtown on a non-cruise day - some good restaurants like Guy Harvey's - which is a block south of the tender dock so not adivisable otherwise. Sunset House is worth a stop/dive if you're in the area - the mermaid statue, small wreck, My Bar for lunch and Cathy Church photo store/gallery if you do that.

The advantage to Andy's is they offer free pickup. On days we boat dove all day we didn't rent a car - just the last couple for shore diving/return to the airport drop-off with our stuff. Cabs are high on Cayman. Since you'll need a car the entire time where you're staying go for the best deal with an airport rental location.

fwiw I haven't been there in some years but we planned a group trip a few years back (fell thru) and my buddy has the past couple of years so I'm pretty sure this is all current.

Last edited:
1+ for shore diving Turtle Reef.
IMO, much better site than Sunset House or Devil's Grotto and the restaurant up there Cracked Conch/Macabuca is pretty good as well.

Diversteve, thanks for the shortcut info.
I don't think there has been any dredging for the cruise dock yet.

Thanks, everyone, for all the great replies. It sounds like OF is the way to go, so I will call tomorrow and book with them.

I hope that you have a great trip, we love the Caymans for both diving and non-diving reasons. Below are a group of links that I have collected about things to do on Grand Cayman. I posted them before but I am adding them here in case you find activities of interest.

I have another suggestion but there are differences of opinion about this. We like to bring a Garmin GPS and car charger with us to help us navigate around the island. Garmin used to have their international headquarters on Grand Cayman and we have found their maps superior to our Apple iphones and Google maps and the sketchy paper map provided by rental car companies.

When you are out on the east end there won't be much traffic and it will be easy to navigate but if you drive south and west toward Georgetown, West Bay, and Seven Mile Beach you will encounter traffic, lots of roundabouts and intersections, and the narrow, angled, one-way streets of Georgetown. We find listening to the audio directions from Garmin very helpful in these situations and when we don't need it we just turn it off. If you don't have a Garmin perhaps you can borrow one or buy one on ebay or craigslist. Have fun, it is a great place to visit and dive!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147365-c164561/Grand-Cayman:Caribbean:Driving.Tour.A.Guide.html

http://danilew.biz/blog/2014/03/03/grand-cayman-paradise-found/

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cayman-islands/437891-topside.html#post6532430

http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/skip-cayman-islands/story?id=32807539

http://www.compasscayman.com/whatshot/

Bioluminescence Bay tours:

http://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/grand-cayman-activities.525583/page-5#post-7669237

Crystal Caves:

http://caymancrystalcaves.com/

Tukka Full Moon Rising:

http://www.tukka.ky/news-events/full-moon-rising.html

The Barefoot Man at the Wharf or the Reef:

http://www.barefootman.com/

We’re staying east of Rum Point – we like to be as far from the beaten path as possible. It appears diving the East End is probably the best idea, given the time/distance/traffic to get to any of the dive operators on the West End – is that a fair assumption?

You basically have two options - you can either go East for one of the East End operations, or you can go West for Rum point. I'd go East and dive with Ocean Frontiers. Say "Hi" to Kev, Evan and the guys for me.
I’ve seen people mention dive trips from Rum Point, but the only options I’ve seen are Tortuga’s running a dive from there on Wednesdays. (We are coming/going on Wednesday, so that’s not an option for me.) Are there options that I missed?

I am pretty sure Red Sail offer diving daily leaving from Rum Point.

There appear to be two main options for diving on the East End – Tortuga’s and Ocean Frontiers. (I saw something about a Dive Lodge, but nothing in the the last 5-6 years, so I’m guessing they closed.) Both seem to get good reviews, but OF seems to be the better option for experienced divers. Are there any other operators in the East End? Any good reasons to choose one over the other except the diver experience level?

I think there is more than just that, but for my money Ocean Frontier's is your best bet. The Dive Lodge was lost in hurricane Ivan in 2004 and never rebuilt.

Do I need to make reservations in advance, or will showing up a day or two ahead to book dives work like many other places?

Pretty sure you can book a day or two ahead. Especially at this time of year when it is a bit quieter.

We like to avoid the crowds, and a couple of the days we’re there will have 10,000 – 11,000 cruise ship passengers arriving. If we head east, will we avoid most of them? Any recommendations on what to do/not do on heavy cruiser days?

Cruise ship passengers rarely travel much beyond George Town and SMB corridor. You might get a few intrepid souls who try and make it as far as Rum Point or Bodden Town, but it would be vanishingly rare for them to go all the way out to East End. There just isn't that much time if you are just visiting for the day.

Some people have recommended Andy's Rent-a-Car, but their prices seem slightly higher than what's available through a travel site - is there any big advantage of using them as opposed to another? Any to avoid at all costs?

I am not a huge fan of Andy's. The play the "we are local and cheaper" card, but they really aren't (cheaper, I mean). Cheapest deals I have seen are with Budget. The local manager is Orrin who is a good guy and will usually give you a free upgrade out of season. The next cheapest option is usually Hertz.

Again, I’d really appreciate any advice or recommendations you can provide.

Thanks.
Perry

Feel free to PM me if you want any specific advice or recommendations.

1+ for OF. Every one of their DM's/guides were topnotch. Ask for a crate when you arrive. They will label it and store your gear between dives. Beware though, if you are picky about your reg they do a rinse dunk of everything in the crate.

Look at their X-dive. We heard about it too late but I understand it is a single tank point to point dive along the wall looking specifically for larger sea life like sharks.

General GC advise...

Everyone accepts us dollars but be sure to take some smaller bills, like 5's and 10's, not all were happy making change and it is useful for tips.

Definitely recommend some form of GPS for negotiating the areas around Georgetown. As KathyV said, too many roundabouts and unmarked/poorly marked roads and the only map we had was obviously not meant to be used for any serious navigation. And if anyone has advice on the double lane roundabouts I would welcome it. I saw pretty much anything and everything done in those and there were near collisions daily.

Absolutely avoid the trip from east-west-east during rush hour morning and afternoon during the week. Bumper to bumper traffic.

We used Avis car rental and no complaints.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom