Grand Cayman Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Cruise ship passengers rarely travel much beyond George Town and SMB corridor. You might get a few intrepid souls who try and make it as far as Rum Point or Bodden Town, but it would be vanishingly rare for them to go all the way out to East End. There just isn't that much time if you are just visiting for the day...

Rum Point has become a cruise ship shore excursion destination and it can get very busy when ships are in port, see the link below:

Stingray City Sandbar & Rum Point Beach Safari | Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

image.jpg
But the small dock there provides a nice setting for the sunset.

Yes, a few cruise ships have a shore excursion to Rum Point. But having worked there I know that these cruise ship visitors are a small fraction of the guests at Rum Point, even on a busy cruise ship day. They stop in for lunch and maybe 30 minutes of beach time before leaving. Their limited port time doesn't allow for more while also including a stop at the stingrays.

As to driving and particularly double lane roundabouts... think of the intersection as a traffic light controlled intersection when choosing your lane. If turning left you must be in the left lane when approaching the roundabout. If turning right you must be in the right lane when approaching the roundabout. If going straight you can be in either lane - just don;t change lanes in the roundabout - but you are better off being in the left lane to go straight. Most collision are when someone approaches the roundabout in the left lane and try to go three quarters of the way around to make a right turn and collide with someone who was in the right lane and going straight through the intersection.

Cayman's National Roads Authority has a page with brochures explaining roundabout usage.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I didn't mind driving in GC and using the roundabouts, after the first or second day getting accustom it wasn't bad. It actually took longer remembering to look the opposite direction for traffic before crossing the street :)

1. East end, as the others have said, sounds like what you're looking for. We have only done day trips out there, but we love it. The diving is great, the people are very kind, and it is not crowded in the least.
  2. I think Red Sail does as well, but we have never dove off Rum Point so I'm not sure.
  3. OF! Great dive op. We did a Wednesday 3-tank with them last trip. Our first site (Desi's Donuts) was quite boring but the second (Ironshore Gardens) is my favorite dive site to date - and not just on Grand Cayman. Our third dive was the site just off the property (Jack's something?) and they said we would most likely see some reef sharks. I know you can't promise to see anything at any site, but they were right on the money. We saw three relatively large and one small reef shark in about a 25 minute time span. We had both medium experienced (50+) and newbie divers with us and OF was great for all the skill levels on board.
  4. OF had a board up in the office with which boats were full for the various days of the week. Many were already full, so I'd recommend reserving in advance.
  5. As others have said, avoid George Town and Stingray City sandbar. Stingray City dive site usually isn't crowded with cruise visitors. Calico Jack's on SMB also gets quite crowded. We have never had much of an issue with cruise visitors at Rum Point.
  6. We used Marshall's because it was quite a bit cheaper than Andy's but on par with the other larger rental agencies. Our car was great, as was the service. We have an AmEx that has rental car coverage that includes Grand Cayman and it was no problem. We weren't warned or pressured about any insurance issues.

As to driving and particularly double lane roundabouts... think of the intersection as a traffic light controlled intersection when choosing your lane. If turning left you must be in the left lane when approaching the roundabout. If turning right you must be in the right lane when approaching the roundabout. If going straight you can be in either lane - just don;t change lanes in the roundabout - but you are better off being in the left lane to go straight. Most collision are when someone approaches the roundabout in the left lane and try to go three quarters of the way around to make a right turn and collide with someone who was in the right lane and going straight through the intersection.

Cayman's National Roads Authority has a page with brochures explaining roundabout usage.

Drew -

Thanks for the response - a question of clarification:

I thought I had the whole left driving thing down after driving on several islands don't drive rightly (pun intended), but I don't recall any two lane roundabouts, so I either didn't encounter that situation or probably messed it up badly completely unawares. You said if you wanted to turn right (i.e., exit the roundabout after 3/4 circle (270 degrees)) to be in the right lane, but you also said "don't change lanes in the roundabout." I looked at the brochure you posted and it looks like you're supposed to exit directly from the middle lane when you get 3/4 around. That looks very dangerous, as cars that entered the roundabout from your left or coming the other direction on your original road will be in the left lane - it seems almost like making a left turn from a right lane.

Without your advice and the brochure, I would have tried to change lanes into the left lane sometime after I passed the road originally to my left but before I reached the road to my right, so I could exit there from the left lane. Am I overthinking this?

Also, what happens if I do reach the road I want to exit on but there is someone to my left not exiting the roundabout? Do I slow/stop to let them pass and wait for a chance to exit, or do I pull a Chevy Chase ("Look kids... Big Ben, Parliament!!) and keep driving around until it is safe to exit?

Just returned from a long weekend stay and diving with OF. This was our third stay at OF and 7 trip overall. Just some observations.
1. Car rental. I think Avis is better than Andys and Avis is owned by a family that has been in the business since at least the late 70s. Andys is good but I know people who have had issues with Andys. I have never had an issue with Avis. Every time I have booked with Avis, my time getting the car and dropping off has been a matter of minutes. They are fast and efficient.
2. Diving. If diving on the East end OF is tops. Take advantage of the service offered of leaving your gear at the end of the day. They will wash, dry and have it on the boat for you for each day of diving. Reserve in advance. Try the lionfish tacos at Eagle Rays after your dives.
3. Driving. Driving on the East end is easy. We drove most of the time on the east end with hardly seeing another car. 7mb and leaving the airport another story. For the drive from the airport to the East End, just familiarize yourself with maps, remember to stay on the left and you should be fine. As mentioned for two lane roads into round abouts its easier and best to stay in the left lane.
4. Cruise ship crowds. Check cruise.tt to see the schedule of ships arriving Georgetown the week you are there. I avoid GT like the plague anytime ships are docked. They may be bused to Rum Point so plan accordingly.
5. I think if I were to plan a week on GC with a nondiving spouse, I would plan part of the week on the East End to take in the peace and quiet and old cayman vibe but would also enjoy part of the time staying right on 7mb to hang out, walk the beach and enjoy what the west side of the island has to offer.

Enjoy your vacation!

Last edited:
Just returned from a long weekend stay and diving with OF. This was our third stay at OF and 7 trip overall. Just some observations.
1. Car rental. I think Avis is better than Andys and Avis is owned by a family that has been in the business since at least the late 70s. Andys is good but I know people who have had issues with Andys. I have never had an issue with Avis. Every time I have booked with Avis, my time getting the car and dropping off has been a matter of minutes. They are fast and efficient.
2. Diving. If diving on the East end OF is tops. Take advantage of the service offered of leaving your gear at the end of the day. They will wash, dry and have it on the boat for you for each day of diving. Reserve in advance. Try the lionfish tacos at Eagle Rays after your dives.
3. Driving. Driving on the East end is easy. We drove most of the time on the east end with hardly seeing another car. 7mb and leaving the airport another story. For the drive from the airport to the East End, just familiarize yourself with maps, remember to stay on the left and you should be fine. As mentioned for two lane roads into round abouts its easier and best to stay in the left lane.
4. Cruise ship crowds. Check cruise.tt to see the schedule of ships arriving Georgetown the week you are there. I avoid GT like the plague anytime ships are docked. They may be bused to Rum Point so plan accordingly.
5. I think if I were to plan a week on GC with a nondiving spouse, I would plan part of the week on the East End to take in the peace and quiet and old cayman vibe but would also enjoy part of the time staying right on 7mb to hang out, walk the beach and enjoy what the west side of the island has to offer.

Enjoy your vacation!

We also like to stay in less developed areas on vacation and Georgetown, 7 Mile Beach, and West Bay are very developed areas. The East End and the North Point are really nice areas that are not developed. There is little traffic but you are rather far from the restaurants, shops, amenities, and tourist attractions of GC. It's probably a 45 minute drive to GT or WB and you definitely want to avoid GT during cruise ship hours and avoid 7MB and WB and GT during rush hours.

We like to stay in the "semi-developed" area of Bodden Town that is south and east of Georgetown and WB/7MB. It is more of a "suburban" neighborhood without many restaurants or shops but it is centrally located and only 10-12 miles from the attractions so it easy to enjoy them when we want to do so.

I just mention this because of your non-diving spouse. If she is happy enjoying the resort, sea, beach, and natural beauties then the East End is fine; but if she would like to spend time in the more touristy areas then you will be pretty far away.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom