$$$ GRAND CAYMAN DIVING $$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm going to Grand Cayman in August for a trip with my son. Last time out we stayed at Comfort Suites and did ALL our diving with Ambassador Divers (on site at the hotel). We're staying at Comfort Suites again but I was wondering if anyone knew of a dive operation that might be a little less expensive??? We would need to get picked up at our hotel OR we could cab it if the price was right. Last trip we really $pent a lot of money on diving. We're trying to keep our cost down. Thank you.

Joe
BestTrumpetPlayer.com

The dive ops are priced competitively on Grand Cayman, especially if you stay on the Seven Mile Beach and contract with an off-site operation, so check for specials and packages, you might get lucky. Some of them will pick you up on the beach with a boat or by road with a van.

Some of the smaller operations might work out a special price for you; check with Cayman University Divers. I am not familiar with Ambassador Divers, but most Cayman dive ops are good and they may have options for you if you ask.

And there are a few diver-dedicated hotels with onsite dive ops that may be more economical, it depends. Some offer 2 boat dives per day and then unlimited shore dives on the house reef and that may help with the price and they include easy, onsite gear storage. But these places are "off the beaten path" and you may need to rent a car to see more of the island - but there is a lot more to see besides the 7MB and Georgetown. I recommend renting a car anyway.

Some of the diver-dedicated GC hotels with an onsite dive op include:
- Compass Point offers East End diving but you are pretty far away from all the other island attractions, but you can get 4 boat dives a day.
- Sunset House is South of Georgetown they offer a mix of boat dives and shore dives and I think it includes breakfast (but I've heard that the house reef has gotten beaten up but I don't know.)
- Cobalt Coast is north up near Hell and they offer an all-inclusive stay that offers meals, 2 boat dives, and unlimited shore dives (weather permitting)
- Lighthouse Point and Holiday Inn are north side locations with an onsite dive op with boat and shore dive options

It's not Bonaire, but there are also some good, independent shore dives ops available on GC, so you could plan to do some boat dives and then go off on your own to shore dive to save money. For instance, Sundivers is the on-site op at Turtle Reef and you can rent a tank and weights for $15 CI to dive from shore. Again it is helpful to have a car if you plan to shore dive.

If these options don't appeal to you, try reaching out to the dive ops to ask them about packages for diving and accommodations. Or ask the Comfort Suites about dive packages. I've stayed at Comfort Suites and it is fine but nothing special IMO, so you may be able to find something better, just my opinion. Look at Sunshine Suites and DiveTech, they will pick you up but the resort is across the street from the beach.

You might also look beyond Grand Cayman to the sister islands where many feel that the diving is better, but these are quiet, rural places without much night life. The Cayman Brac Beach Resort is a small, diver-dedicated resort and the price includes transfers, food, lodging, valet diving, hotel service charges, taxes, and some of their packages include drinks; so everything is covered but the dive shop tips. It will cost you about $140 US for a round trip flight to Cayman Brac or Little Cayman.

And if you want to do a lot of diving in the Caymans, look for a good deal on the Cayman Aggressor liveaboard. All your costs are covered and you can do 4-5 dives a day at the best sites off of all 3 Cayman Islands (weather permitting). It may seem expensive but you can do a lot of really nice dives and if you work out the costs per dive it may be more economical.

The Caymans offer great Caribbean diving and there are a lot of options to consider, have fun whatever you decide!

Last edited:
How much did you spend per 2-tank boat trip last time? How long ago was this? How many boat dives to you plan to do per day?

These figures might help others understand what basis of comparison you use.

Richard.

And what do you like to do besides dive? The Seven Mile Beach is the most expensive area but if you like the beach and proximity to restaurants and shops then it may be the best choice for you. If those things aren't important to you then there are less expensive areas to consider.

Here's another vote for Sunset House. They offer stay & dive packages as well as special deals. When I stayed there, the price and the diving were both good. They have an onsite dive shop and are currently running a deal where you get the 5th night free. It includes daily breakfast, airport transfers, welcome gifts and all tax/service charges + the 5th night free & a free two tank boat dive on one of the mornings. The place is really made for divers so if you want to do a good deal of diving, it's perfect. If instead you want to go out to an offsite restaurant for every meal & go into town every night, it would likely be too expensive. 5th Night Free - Sunset House - George Town - Cayman Islands

I had also looked into Airbnb.com as well which seemed to have some good prices. This could help with the monies since some of the places are cheaper & you could make some of your own food (e.g., for breakfast & lunch).

Last edited:
I think most ops are priced in the same range. The way we save money on diving in GC is to do more shore diving vs. boat. Doing a two tank boat dive on GC with a family of is a bank buster, especially for a number of days. Shore diving can be done for a fraction of the price.

Thank you everyone for your wealth of info. I'm staying at Comfort, it's already booked so we're not going anywhere else. I think the best advice is to do more shore diving. Eden Rock was MY favorite. Can you guys and gals please give me MORE info on where the best shore dives are located??? I will rent a car or take public transit if I have to BUT I don't want to travel too far and I want to feel safe with my surroundings. I also don't remember what I paid for other trips (diving) and I don't care about spending on food. Only the best will do when on vacation. Thank you.

Ps. Yes I know, you can't beat Cozumel's pricing OR Bonaire's diving. I did a night dive with DiveTec once and will never do any diving with them again. They could wait to get us in and out of the water fast enough to collect their cash. I felt like I was at work. I've been to the sister islands of GC by small plane but it's a new world now. Thanks obama.

Shore diving recommendations include Ollen Miller's Sundivers at Turtle Reef/Macabuca, Lighthouse Point and Eden Rock, as you mentioned. On Eden Rock check to see if the silversides are in and I don't dive Eden Rock if a cruise ship is in. Check cruisett.com to see the schedule for ships in GC. Rental cars are one of the few relatively reasonably priced things on GC. You will want to rent a car on GC especially if you are planning on shorediving.

Shore diving recommendations include Ollen Miller's Sundivers at Turtle Reef/Macabuca, Lighthouse Point and Eden Rock, as you mentioned. On Eden Rock check to see if the silversides are in and I don't dive Eden Rock if a cruise ship is in. Check cruisett.com to see the schedule for ships in GC. Rental cars are one of the few relatively reasonably priced things on GC. You will want to rent a car on GC especially if you are planning on shorediving.

You could also try Cobalt Coast. Turtle Reef is my favorite, followed by Lighthouse Point, then Cobalt Coast. I generally do not care for the sites in town though I have had some good dives at Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto

Grand Cayman is not the best place to try to save money

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom