grand turk and provo crime issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glennster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
we were in bonaire last week and in talking to other people there and some reports on the news the crime on the islands is getting pretty bad. cartels and drugs are supposed to be increasing in activity. is there any truth to this? i would like to go to Bohio Resort on Grand Turk, but if it as bad as people are saying, may go elsewhere. thanks in advance.

I haven't been to either Provo or Grand Turk for about 4 years, but went there every year for about 5 years. We never had any issues. We walked through some poor neighborhoods to get to the downtown area, and there were never any issues.

There is no reason to leave Bohio once you're there. It's a really nice place, great food, nice bar, and the dive sites are only 100 yards offshore. There is little-to-no current. Surface intervals are all back at the resort.

The only downside to Bohio are the cruise ships. The beach at Bohio is popular with the sloshed cruise ship passengers.

FYI, we quit going to Bohio because our dive partners got too old to dive anymore. They liked the laid-back, easy diving there at Bohio. Once they quit diving, we turned our attention to Asia.

The Bohio is closed and in receivership. Crime on Grand Turk is not as bad as you are picturing it as. Unless you are going there to form your own gang or decide to deal drugs you will not have a problem.

The Bohio is closed and in receivership. Crime on Grand Turk is not as bad as you are picturing it as. Unless you are going there to form your own gang or decide to deal drugs you will not have a problem.
so sad to hear Bohio is closed. we dove there several years ago and really enjoyed it. easy diving, nice resort, great food.

I was on Grand Turk for a week solo back in April. Stayed at Osprey Beach Hotel which was perfect for my needs. Diving was also 100 yards off the beach.

I got out and about quite a bit as I got bored of the single restaurant at the hotel. Lots of walking around on foot (day and night) and rented a golf cart to get further afield one day. I pretty much explored the entire island, both the "urban"/residential parts as well some pretty remote parts. I never once felt concerned about crime. Not saying it's not there, but keeping basic situational awareness about your surroundings and I don't think you have anything to worry about. There were a couple bars that I steered clear of at night (very obvious--loud music, seedy looking people hanging around), but otherwise felt 100% safe everywhere.

Honestly, more than crime the thing that struck me was the number of pentecostal churches (I think) that held services late on a friday night.

love, love Grand Turk ( do not care for Provo at all)- as previously said, stay at Osprey (I did like Bohio for a day visit or dinner so hate it is gone) and Blue Water Divers is definitely top shelf- spent two weeks with them on trips in the past couple of years. Rent a golf cart from Omar and you can easily see the whole island, eat some great places like the Ridge Cafe at the Arches, The Sandbar or the Grand Turk Inn. Our second trip we rented a wonderful vrbo home called Blue Breezes that was fabulous for a couple- highly recommend it. Oh, and I am the non-diver, trip planner wife with the husband that dives and he loved GT both trips, loved the great crew at Blue Water with very small groups (sometimes just him) with very personal attention. Safety- while he was out diving, I drove all over the island (once again) in my golf cart for a week, visited the great museum, shopped in markets, went to Governors Beach and the beach at Bohio and Osprey alone and never for a second felt unsafe. I would not feel so safe in Provo and choose not to go there but I give GT two thumbs up still- we will be back- Henry, Kingry and Kristin at BWD are the best!! Go- enjoy.

If you stay on the tourist trail Provo is very safe, with the exception of snatch and grabs from your car.
Rental companies recommend leaving nothing in the car and not even locking the doors coz a dedicated thief will get in anyway

Yes Bohio has been closed for a few months but is getting dilapidated pretty quick. Grand Turk is very safe. I have criss crossed it on a golf cart many times in all kind of hours - literally 11pm, 4am , morning, night. It is super safe and the wall is very close so the boat rides are short. I don’t think Provo can offer that…

Back
Top Bottom