great white shark dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a feeling you might say that!

If you are considering GW cage diving, don't let these stories scare you.

As you can see, both sealkie and I are both planning on returning to the cage very soon. There is nothing likw it!!!!!!

Bill

Would you all say that you have had any problems
with the company you went with or wish
that they had done anything differently?

Greetings,

I did the GWS dive in South Australia just a couple months ago and it was FANTASTIC!!!

As I understand it, there are only 2 operators that can leagally do trips in SA: Rodney Fox as someone already mentioned and Calypso Charters. Both operate under some failry specific gov't rules on this and both go (essentially) to the same locations for the adventure; Dangerous Reef and Nepture Island.

These spots are 2-4 hours out from Pt. Lincoln and near the Spencer Gulf. They are breeding grounds for the nasty critters and close to a major whale migration route.

They may have the cage floating right below the surface or they may drop it to 20-30 feet depending on where the action is. We were on the surface all the time and the action was non-stop.

There are clearly advantages to either operator depending on your time, how deep your pocket is, etc. I looked hard at both and went on Calypso for a 3 night 4 day trip and we had sharks within 30 minutes of anchor and had them every day we were there. It can be a hit or miss but we hit them every day.

My sense is that the Oz govt watches this closely and monitors the operations. They are allowed to tag sharks and provide info to the govt and universitys for additional research. From what I hear about the South African operators, they are "less concerned" about the sharks as they are making a good show and getting paid well.

I can give you more details later if you are interested. I have attached a small pic of one we saw.

David

Here are the links of the two main great white shark tour services in South Australia

http://www.calypsostarcharter.com.au/

http://www.rodneyfox.com.au/

I have met with them both and they run respectable operations. I choose to dive with Calypso for a number of reasons, mainly costs and schedule. But would certainly recommend them as they delivered far more than expected.

As someone point out, it is a hit and miss deal. We were lucky and had sharks within 30 minutes of dropping anchor and they just kpet coming all 4 days. I have heard that on rare occassions, no sharks come around. This is not common but can happen.

Here is another little pic from the trip

Cheers....

ns2ny thanks for the information.....and check your PMs

it seems as though everyone who has responded
to this post has done the live aboard.....
has anyone done or heard of anyone having
any luck with the one day charters?

newbie-in-fl...

Most of the South African charters will take you out for one day.
You must ask yourself though...
Why would you go all the way to S. Africa or Austrailia for a 1-day charter?

Here's a schedule from one S.A.operator...

http://www.white-shark-diving.com/white-shark-diving-tours.htm

And the one for California is here...

http://www.white-shark-diving.com/white-shark-diving-tours.htm

I don't know about Austrailia though...

A live-aboard is the only way to go, in my opinion, if you are looking for Great Whites!

Take your bonine or whatever your poison, and if no sharks show you have plenty of time to fish!

Good luck...
Bill

I agree with Bill that the one day thing is possible but the only way to do this is on a live-aboard.

It's a hit or miss proposition although I only have heard of 3 trips in many many dozens I have spoken to that did not have sharks during their trip.

It can be a bit frustrating but I guess you could try to get some dive time in while you're waiting for them to arrive :wacko:

As mentioned earlier, the South Australia shops have 2 primary locations they go to. Generally if there are no sharks at the first drop after a few hours, they will go to the 2nd location. There is no guarantee but if you can plan your trip around certain breeding and/or migration seasons, your chances are really strong to have an unforgetable experience.

One suggestion: I am a warm water diver but the water in SA when I was there was about 13 celcius (55 degrees) and I thought I had been neutered by the time I got out from my first session. Most of the places will arrange to set you up w/ 10-14mm on the core but if you have a dry suit, that is the way to go.

cheers

My previous reply had the wrong link for the one-day California trips.

Here is the link...

http://www.greatwhiteadventures.com/farallons.html

Newbie-in-fl...
I will be returning to Guadalupe to cage dive with Great Whites in the fall of 2004. I will be going with some friends...
you should consider joining us.
As of now, the price is $2,250 all-inclusive.
It's steep, but well worth it.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom