Grenada with Eco Divers - Trip Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just back from one week in Grenada at the Coyaba resort.

We booked this in the winter British Airways sale at bargain price. Very happy with the combination our room was on the side of the dive center so practical to bring our photo gear back and forth.

We did a total of 9 dives in 5 days starting with an afternoon dive on Monday after our arrival on Sunday evening and then proceeding with double tank dive every morning. We could not go for a night dive as we did not reach the minimum number of required participants (6 but we were not close either).

We used Eco Dive and trek the onsite dive center managed by the marine biologist Christine Finney Eco Dive Grenada | Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, PADI Training and Trekking Tours in Grenada

I was in touch with Christine since December and she had made several suggestions for the dive sites and provided plenty of information, I forgot to book Nitrox before arriving there and could not get it as they have tanks made by another dive shop but this was not an issue as most of the deep dives were followed by a shallower dive with no deco issue of any sort.
When we got there the shop was extremely busy with open water courses especially for kids, we were concerned this would have gone to the detriment of our dive site selection but they did most of their training dives in the afternoon so effectively we never had to share a boat except for one dive.

Dive sites we went:
  • Molinere Sculpture Park - very interesting
  • Purple Rain - nice drift with few barracuda schooling and the purple chromis going upwards
  • Veronica L wreck - shallow wreck with schooling fish excellent
  • Bianca L - huge and deep wreck of a costa cruise liner with depths between 100-120 feet or 30-40 meters excellent dive very deep
  • Northern Exposure - easy reef dive very pleasant with spotted drums and few sharptail eels coming to play
  • Southern Comfort - we had bad viz there was a lot of krill which is good thing and a bad thing for photo
  • Quarter Wreck - scattered remains of a broken ship excellent viz on the site
  • Shake'em - this was carrying cement that hitting the water became concrete and the boat sunk home to a gigantic green moray eel and a sea horse (that we did not see)
  • Shark Reef - on the choppy atlantic side nursh sharks, turtles and other features in a nice drift dive

All the members of staff were extremely helpful though some of them on the caribbean relaxed side, especially considering they do not really cater for photographer they procured us two buckets for cameras that were forbidden to anybody else to use! All the dives including Bianca were no decompression dives and the conduct was very professional at all times, the DMs went also on a regular lionfish hunt and was entertaining to see a few speared!

The combination Coyaba all inclusive and Eco Dive was fabulous and ended up venturing outside the resort just once. Price wise they matched the other shops only remark were the boat boarding procedures as the equipment is removed every night each guest had to carry their own gear on the boat and we had not taken our mesh bag, the shop lent us one but could only fit fins and mask. This made boarding procedure slow and we left each morning at 930 which for us was a bit late, on a positive side there was more light for photo as the sea is on the west side so early morning would be dark. We were told most times the dive time limit was 45 minutes but when air permitted we got easily to one hour without any problems that is commendable too.

To finish those are the pictures of the trip:

Grenada - a set on Flickr

And this is the link to the video

[youtubehq]JWdwsPdBxqY[/youtubehq]

For mobile devices use this

[vimeo]63122125[/vimeo]

Last edited:
Thanks for the report! How does the diving in Grenada compare to other destinations you dived?

I never go to the caribbean just for diving so I was looking for something with a great beach and some diving. I have been pleasantly surprised especially by the wreck dives that are actually all good to great
In the overall ranking is not at the top but not at the bottom either considering that fish life wise I think we were quite unlucky there are usually more sightings that what we experienced
If you like wrecks this is a must destination in the caribbean if you are after reefs or other features maybe elsewhere. I have to say Grenada is very convenient with fast boat rides that do not take more than half hours with most dives sites within 10 minutes

Back
Top Bottom