Groceries in West End.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChainDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Heading to Roatan Feb 8 to 15th and staying at Posada Arco Iris. Renting a studio with a kitchen and a small fridge.

The hotel offers airport transfer of 20$ each way and for an extra 10$ you can stop and do groceries in Coxen Hole.

Since we only have a small fridge is it worth the extra 10$ to get things like a dozen eggs, yogurt, hamburger, chicken breast, a bottle of wine, milk, butter, lunch meat, bread. Would I be able to get these basics in West End?

Thanks.

There is a small grocery on the west end but the selection may be limited. It's a good idea to stop and stock up on things.

Or just save the $10 and just buy meals around West End.

No idea here about getting meats in West End but you can get fresh fish. Posada Arco Iris is very close to Woody's where you can get everything else. A five minute walk from Woody's is the gas station which has a well stocked mini-market. Best place to buy wine is the Duty Free in West End.

Some of that can also be found at the Coconut Tree Store. Definitely milk, wine and juice since we bought it there.

What you can't see well in this shot of Woody's is the coolers lining the back wall. I'm pretty sure I saw some Oscar Mayer products there. Woodies Grocery Store in West End, Roatan Island

Stuff off the trucks was good quality. Honduras Cuisine - West End Fruit Truck

Rotisserie Chicken is a reasonable alternative a short walk west also. Really good food. I think we bought 1-1/2 bbq'd chickens, coconut rice, bread for around $22? Creole's Rotisserie Chicken, West End - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos

Last edited:
Chaindiver - it depends. :)

How much do you plan to cook vs eating out? This is the tough one you need to answer honestly.

Also remember that Roatan enjoys frequent and sometimes extended power outages.

When we go and stay at a condo we tend to plan on cooking and buy a bunch of food then end up eating out and waste the food.

I would do the stop in Coxen Hole just for Booze, drinks and snacks. You would easily spend that on a few drinks at the bars in West end and that also gives you stuff at your studio. Plaza Mar or Eldons is going to be cheaper than Woodys. Plaza Mar is cheaper than Eldons, especially for booze. If you like Rum try the Bohtran (sp), local and very smooth.

Enjoy your trip!,,,,

Chaindiver - it depends. :)

How much do you plan to cook vs eating out? This is the tough one you need to answer honestly.

Also remember that Roatan enjoys frequent and sometimes extended power outages.

When we go and stay at a condo we tend to plan on cooking and buy a bunch of food then end up eating out and waste the food.

I would do the stop in Coxen Hole just for Booze, drinks and snacks. You would easily spend that on a few drinks at the bars in West end and that also gives you stuff at your studio. Plaza Mar or Eldons is going to be cheaper than Woodys. Plaza Mar is cheaper than Eldons, especially for booze. If you like Rum try the Bohtran (sp), local and very smooth.

Enjoy your trip!,,,,
Some of that can also be found at the Coconut Tree Store. Definitely milk, wine and juice since we bought it there.

What you can't see well in this shot of Woody's is the coolers lining the back wall. I'm pretty sure I saw some Oscar Mayer products there. Woodies Grocery Store in West End, Roatan Island

Stuff off the trucks was good quality. Honduras Cuisine - West End Fruit Truck

Rotisserie Chicken is a reasonable alternative a short walk west also. Really good food. I think we bought 1-1/2 bbq'd chickens, coconut rice, bread for around $22? Creole's Rotisserie Chicken, West End - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos

Thanks Guys,

This is the info I was looking for. We spent two weeks in Bonaire at the beginning of November and ate out once for lunch and once for supper. So our plan is to eat in for breakfast and lunch, and half and half for suppers.
. The small fridge and possible power failures had me thinking we could not do a large order on our way from the airport.

I just noticed you are from Quebec. Shaman Cafe in West End just had their official opening last Friday night. It's owned by a guy from Montreal. I recommend going there for one of the dinner nights and of course Creole's Rotisserie Chicken on another night.

Thanks. Those sound like great choices.

The grocery situation in West End is pretty good. Woody's had everything thing we were looking for.

As others have noted supply can change, after three days the frozen meat section was emptied and the freezers turned off. It looked like they were doing maintenance/cleaning on the freezers. The first day we stopped in another section of coolers was emptied and its contents moved to a different section. The next day it was restocked.

There are a couple of other stores along the road, but they mostly had a smaller selection of what was available at Woody's.

It rained and was pretty cool during our week and one thing we could not find was soup or chili.

Mike.

Back
Top Bottom